Author Topic: Nappy changing when tired  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Jasminemum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Nappy changing when tired
« on: December 02, 2005, 20:37:18 pm »
Hello,
I'm just starting with trying to establish an EASY routine. The book says that I should start putting my DD down to sleep when she starts to yawn after feeding and activity, which is fair enough. But my question is, what if she needs a nappy change? Obviously this needs doing, but then I seem to miss the window of opportunity to get her to sleep. This happened this afternoon, and she just wouldn't go to sleep, kept crying etc. In the end, I fed her again and she fell asleep on me, which isn't the idea at all! :?
I'd be grateful for any suggestions!
 Harriet

Offline james030405

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 22
  • James' birthday is 3rd April 2005
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 00:51:43 am »
Hi Harriet,

I think nappy change is suppose to be part of the 20min wind down.  If this doesn't work, you could try changing her about 15mins before her bedtime ie if you know she gets tired around 9:30am, you could go in and change her around 9:15am. 

Only a suggestion but worth a go I guess :) Hope this helps

Lisa mum to James my textbook/spirited koala
[url=http://lilypie.com][/url]

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 01:31:12 am »
Once and a while when they are really little, that may throw a wrench in things, we just have to do the best we can in those instances.  I'm assuming you are talking about a poopy diaper?  Otherwise, for the other diapers, I would just make sure to change her when you know it is before her window or when she'll be getting tired.

As far as falling asleep on you, if you want you can do a "pretend" diaper change to jostle her awake a little bit and then put her down.  That way, she is still being put down "awake".  But if these instances are far and few between....I'd probably just let her sleep  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Jasminemum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 12:37:44 pm »
Thanks for your tips. Yes, she had done a poo, so I couldn't really leave it! I'm tending to find that she has quite a good feed, and then wants a little bit more later on when it's time to put her down to sleep. If I don't give it to her then she won't settle. I guess I need to keep trying to get her to have more milk at the start.
Harriet

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 12:46:08 pm »
Quote from: Jasminemum
If I don't give it to her then she won't settle.

Hi Harriet,
Just wanted to throw this out there that this sounds like she may just want/have the need to suck to get her to sleep/relax her and feeding her right before every time (via bottle or breast) might cause that to become a prop.  You may want to try a pacifer or pat/sshh.  But of course, if you don't mind this then it sounds like you found a great way to help her settle  :D  :wink:

Offline Sarah O

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Quinn and Hazel at 16.5 months
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 12:52:11 pm »
Hi Harriet,

Wanted to mention that with my little ones, they too like to eat their meals in two parts...half at feed time and the rest before they go down for their naps.  I tried to change this for a while but in the end decided to follow their lead on this one.  I was still able to "sleep train" them, ie they still fall asleep independently so it IS possible for this style of eating to not become a prop.  Just make sure that once you give your LO that second portion of bottle, that you chat a bit, maybe have some kisses, a walk around the room together, etc...  At least that's how I've managed with my two and they're both sleeping independently now.

Good luck to you!!

Sarah
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Jasminemum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 14:52:49 pm »
Thanks again. I thought that it might be just a sucking need, and tried a dummy, but she spat this out and cried. She is also doing the 'rooting' and turning her head to the side, sticking her tongue out which Tracy says is hunger. She's very erratic in her feeding, I've been feeding her now for example on and off for one hour 45 mins (break for nappy changing etc). She's 3.5 weeks o it could be a growth spurt, except she's been doing the same thing for the last two weeks! It's really hard to get any kind of routine going...

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 20:03:15 pm »
OH!! If she's only 3.5 weeks - everything you're doing is fine!!!!   :D Definitely just go with the flow and don't fret over having an exact routine.  As long as you keep EASY in mind things will come.  Being so little - things will still sort of be all over the place for a little while.  Congrats!!  :D

Offline Jasminemum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 21:30:24 pm »
Thanks, that's reassuring, I'm finding it really difficult at the moment. Everything I seem to try and do seems not to work. We can't even get her to wake up for a feed. . .I'm hoping it will settle down after this magic 6 - 8 week mark that people talk about.
Harriet