Author Topic: Expressing  (Read 885 times)

Offline jacqui19

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Expressing
« on: December 03, 2005, 12:25:55 pm »
Hi this is my first time on the forum and I'm just wondering about expressing.  My daughter is doing well at feeding from my breast unfortunately it is tiring me out due to her feeding between 2 to 2 1/2 hrs.  I've tried to express twice now and only manage 3oz.  When my daughter is fed this milk it does not fill her.  I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if I have to give her more than one lot of expressed milk?  Does anybody have any tips on how often I should express, when I should express and how much should I give my daughter?  Thanks for any help. :?

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Expressing
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 16:09:47 pm »
How old is she?  It sounds like she's quite young, so it's not surprising that she's eating so often - it will stretch out eventually! A lot of bf babies need to be fed every 2 - 2.5 hrs for the first while. :D Regardless of her age, you want to make sure she's getting a full feed - do you know about breast compression? It can really help to get the fatty filling milk at the end of the nursing session, fill her up more and last longer between feeds. Also, are you using both breasts or single side feeding?  How's her weight gain and is she having lots of wet and dirty diapers?

As for expressing - what sort of pump are you using, or are you hand expressing?  It's usually best to pump in the morning, either about an hour after a feed, or if you're single side feeding, pump the other side after a feed.

Once I know her age, it might be easier to figure out some other suggestions too!  :)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline jacqui19

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Expressing
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 21:23:01 pm »
I'm not used to leaving messages on the forum so not sure what sort of information I need to put in. 

My daughter, Aimee, is 6 weeks old.  She was born 21.10.05.  I originally feed from just one side due to being told to do this by my midwife.  I now feed from both sides having found this fills her alot more.  Aimee is gaining weight so I've been told I'm doing ok with breast feeding.   Her nappies/dipers are wet and dirty.  I am currently hand expressing using an Avent ISIS express pump.  Unfortunately I've not sure what you mean by compressions.  Please do let me know. :)  Thank you for your advice so far it does make me feel better knowing there is people out there who can help.   :)

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
Expressing
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 16:05:18 pm »
Don't worry about not knowing what to post at first - that's what questions are for!  :wink:

A lot of women double side feed - some breasts just work better that way, with production, etc.  You have to find out what works for you.

Now, 6 weeks is a big time for growth spurts - so if you dd has been feeding much more often and just not seeming as satisfied lately - that could be why.  It might also be harder to pump extra as your breasts are trying to accomodate some increased needs.  But growth spurts only last a few days, so things should settle down. You can look here for info on increasing pumping production:
http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/breastfeeding-resource-center-vt25289.html

As for breast compression, check out this link:
http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15breast_compression.html

Let me know if you have more questions after reading that (it's what we're here for!!) and welcome to the boards! :)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Expressing
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 20:10:37 pm »
I think 3 oz is great.  Unless my little one goes all night without a feed, I can't ever get more than 3.  But I know lots of ppl have been able to pump more, I am not one of them.

Hang in there.  Shortly your little one will be spreading the feeds out.

But I know for the first two months my little one nursed almost every 2 hours during the day.  Then I read baby whisperer and was able to stretch it to 3.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)