Author Topic: resist feeding on right breast, why?  (Read 1265 times)

Offline jingers

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 04, 2005, 00:31:49 am »
My 11 weeks old baby girl is exclusive breast feed since birth. She always has been a excellent feeder. But recently, she start fussing a lots when I breast feed her. Especialy when she feeds from right breast. She takes a few minutes suck, then pull off. After that, it is very hard to get her latch on again. She fights me when I try to latch her on the right breast. Sometime, I did latch her on. She will suck for a few minutes then pull away again. But she is alright when i feed her from the left breast. I don't understand why it is happening.  :?  Another thing is she usually take 10 to 15 minutes on one side, then 10 to 15 minutes on the other side. But recently, she only take 10 to 15 minutes on one side, then doesn't want to be fed anymore. Does this has anything to do with the development issue? Does anyone have similar experience?

annamum

resist feeding on right breast, why?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 05:51:09 am »
She is now eating faster because she is more efficient, most babies do that.

She probably prefers your one breast to the other because one has a faster flow than the other. Most babies prefer to suck without much effort and she finds it probably frustrating to work harder on one. This is quite common for babies to have such preference. It can develop anytime during the breastfeeding relationship. My dd clearly didn't want my left one from the beginning and we managed to nurse on the right one all the way through. I don't encourage you to quit nursing from the one she doesn't like, this may actually be only temporary and she may be back to her normal nursing in a few days or weeks. In a meantime, you can pump to keep supply in the less favorite one. Check out this link for more info http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/lopsided.html

Offline webfoot

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
    • Bug n' Belle
resist feeding on right breast, why?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 11:02:14 am »
I think they all end up with a preferance. I was sure my left boob was a dud b/c the first two shunned it and turns out it's ds'2 favrorite. I think also that maybe we favor one side b/c of our handedness and also they may have  kink in the neck from being in-utero that makes one side more comfortable than the other.

I know it can be frustrating. When I pump, and it's been like this for all 3 kids I literally get a 2 to 1 yield comapring the preferred boob to the not so special one.

Now that ds is taking in a lot (like probalby a 6-8 oz bottle) I can also see it in how my boobs hang when I"m full.  :shock: But I figure it won't last long, he'll be done soon enough and Ill be back to my puny little self.
Tanya

Kyle 12/27/01
Amy 3/28/03
Evan 4/12/05
Addy 4/29/10

Visit me on etsy!

Offline jingers

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 22:52:44 pm »
Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I tried something different yesterday. I let dd sit on the bed and I hold her in a foot ball position. She fed really well in that position. I read the information on http://www.kellymom.com. It said that the fast milk flow might cause the baby fussing when they on the breast. I suspect it might be the reason, so I tried one of the position indicated on that website. And it seems worked. Hope it will continue work!

Thanks for all the advise.

Offline ankekreutz

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 00:32:23 am »
Someone in my nursing group had the same problem and it turned out the baby had an ear infection on one side so it hurt her to lie on this side. This is probably the worst case scenario but maybe it should be considered by a pediatrician.