Author Topic: NOT hungry after 3 hours!!  (Read 2348 times)

Offline dd2flick

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: December 04, 2005, 14:24:19 pm »
Hi my dd is almost 1 weeks old. I have her on the 3 hour easy routine, to a certain extent. She tends to be able to only stay awake for about 1hour sometimes less. I put her down for her nap and when the 3 hrou mark comes around I wake her to feed. Well today and a couple of other days she just is not interested in the breast at all. WEll maybe for about 5 min. The other thing is she vertually falls asleep the minute she is there. Should I try and have her on a 4 hour feeding routine to make her hungry? :?
dianne :?:

Offline dd2flick

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 14:25:19 pm »
She is 11 weeks old NOT 1 week  :lol:
dianne

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
NOT hungry after 3 hours!!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 16:12:52 pm »
One hour of awake time is good for an 11 week old, I think. How's her weight gain? I'd hesitate to move her to a 4 hr cycle so young.  If you didn't wake her to eat, how long would she sleep?  Have you tried waiting a half hour before feeding - maybe she needs to wake up a bit?  And how are the nights?
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline dd2flick

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 18:00:29 pm »
Hi, thanks for your reply. she seems to be gaining weight alright. (about 4-7oz per week) with is what is recommended in the Uk. The only thing is she has gone from sleeping through to 5am and has started to regulary wak at 3.20am
The evenings go something like this:
Try to encourage a feed around 6pm
Then she has her bath with her big sisiter around 6.30pm
Massage with oil
Dressed then bed at 7pm.  She is well ready for a sleep by this time, and goes down very quickly!
I df her around 10.30pm or 11pm. She wakes up at 3.20am and then again around 5/6am. I tend to get about 6- 7 feds in over the day including the df, though alot of the time on the 3 hour easy it takes alot to even persuade her to want it. she will scuk alot in the beginning and then fall asleep! Would you suggest introducing say an 9pm df to go along with the 11pm df? 
I have tried  logging what happens in the day, and so far there has not been one day the same, so no real pattern is imerging.
You suggested leaving her for 20-30 min before I feed to wake up. The problem is she is a VERY sleepy baby during the day and does not want to be up for more than say 45 min before the yawning starts. Sometimes she yawns within minutes of waking, though I assume that is her trying to wake up!
Anyway I will  try your advice and leave her a while before feeding by giving her some low activity, nappy change, play mat etc (if big sister will allow)  feed, a small amount of activity again and then sleep. The Q I have here is do I start the cycle from when I woke her last?
AGain thanks for your advice
dianne
Oh yes I thought I may try the schedule that Tracey suggested, as things have to coincide with my eldest daughter who is only 2.5yrs old cheers! :)

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
NOT hungry after 3 hours!!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 00:19:39 am »
I don't have any advice about the 9pm feed...and I never did a df either, so not sure what effect that's having.

As for waiting a bit to feed her after she wakes, 30 min might be too long. But a lot of moms find AEASY works really well - nappy change and some activity to perk her up might give her more of an appetite.  She's gaining weight really well, though, so that's great!

Does she eat at both the 3:20 and 5 am feeds?  I'd be surprised if she's really hungry for both...and if she's eating well at both, she might NOT be as hungry during the day.  11 weeks...that's getting around 3 months, right? Some babies start having sleep issues then.  It's also possible that the night wakings are more habit related than hunger at this point, but I'm not 100% sure...  Have you tried resettling at night without feeding, and what happens?
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline dd2flick

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 08:33:22 am »
The resettling thing dont happen, she just wont be susshed to sleep, it  is the boob or nothing, and she generally seems hungry. At the mo she is going through a growth spurt and we have started to hit the 45min nap thing too. (growth and naps could be linked). SO I hope that after this spell we will be back to either sleeping through Or the minumin of 1 waking per night before 7am
dianne