Author Topic: 19 month old skipping a nap  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: December 04, 2005, 18:25:57 pm »
Oh my LORD what a disaster.  I put her in at her normal 12:30 and as of right now she's still talking with NO signs of going to sleep.  I'm waiting for her to start crying because that's usually my sign to go in and resettle her but so far nothing.  I am petrified of what tonight will bring :(

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
19 month old skipping a nap
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 12:07:13 pm »
Do you go in to resettle her everytime you put her down, if after a certain amount of time she hasn't fallen asleep?  She may be talking and playing for so long in her crib just waiting for you to come in.

Just a thought.
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 13:57:28 pm »
No I don't. 

We don't have this problem that often.  Just every one in a while she starts and it takes forever for it to end!

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
19 month old skipping a nap
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 04:45:26 am »
Carmela's mom, I think we must have very similar kids. Every time I read your post, I have experienced the same with my dd. I have definitely learned through my experiences with these 2 kids of mine that EVERY KID is different - so sometimes what works for one child really doesn't work for another.

That said, my dd often lies in bed talking - as I have posted about many times. For many months I went with the philosophy of getting her to go down on her own, and would not go in to her unless she was upset. This would result in 1-2 missed naps a week. She is ALWAYS happy (until much time has passed, sometimes up to 2 hours!), but she will just chat and sing away with no nap.

Now, we really usually get her down with a still hand on her back for a few minutes (no patting - too stimulating). Often we can calm her this way and leave when she's still awake. However, she often needs the hand on back until asleep. I think your daughter and mine are too spirited and happy living their lives to the fullest sometimes, and just need a little sane calming - so you may think about a little more calming measure for your dd. Although I do believe in the non-intervention method, I think sometimes my dd just needs that calming down. Unfortunately. And I really hope it doesn't cause me problems later!
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001