Author Topic: Question about Nuby sippy cup  (Read 2279 times)

Offline mommy2two

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: December 04, 2005, 22:04:30 pm »
Does anyone use this cup:  http://www.nuby.be/en/frameset.htm
click on Cups and it is the upside down blue one.

(I found them at WalMart for $1.50).

Anyway, I have a few questions for those that use this sippy cup. My 13 month old dd loves it and I think I can use it to replace bottles she loves it so much. We tried the other Nuby sippy cups and she likes those too, but likes this one the best.  What I was wondering is

1. Does it come in a smaller size? It is a little big for her to manage herself as she has a hard time tipping it back far enough to drink from when in her highchair and if I fill it up full it is too heavy.

2. This seem SO much like a bottle to me. How is this any better for your child then a bottle (for their teeth, mouth, developement, etc)?

Thanks!

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 275
Question about Nuby sippy cup
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 00:39:35 am »
We use them and we replaced all dd's bottles with them at 11 months. She had no problem with it. We had been trying different sippy cups already for months to no avail but we found once she got the hang of the nuby's she will now drink from all kinds of sippy's. As far as I know they don't come in a smaller size... dd also wouldn't hold her own bottle but again, once she started the Nuby's she is gradually holding them herself, figuring out the right angle, etc. The only one she doesn't hold is the bedtime one so I just feed it to her still like a bottle. As far as them being a lot like regular bottles... I kind of agree! Some stuff I've been reading lately too says most sippy's aren't that different from a bottle as far as tooth health and to try to only use them as a transition to a cup and to not let your lo drink from a sippy all day. Kwim? Though now that Ella is drinking from sippy's (she has had water from a regular cup for awhile) if we try to use a regular cup she flings it all over the place thinking it's got a "lid" still... :roll:  :lol:  So I don't know how long it will take to get to regular cups... I know some mums here have had great success with straw cups and those are supposed to be better for the teeth...

Sorry so long winded but I hope it helped a bit!

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline Koren

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 14:26:31 pm »
Hi

I also have been using the Nuby cups since my dd has stopped breast feeding at 8 months. It does look and feel alot like a bottle which is why orginally I used them but now I have the same worries and was wondering if i should use another sippy cup. Recently I have tried a cup which she seems to like alot, but she still needs help with it. I think it is better anyways if she doesnt walk around while she is drinking cause I heard that way it is much easier to get rid of the bottle/sippy cup.
Ima to Chana

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Re: Question about Nuby sippy cup
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 15:00:52 pm »
Quote from: EASYmom
1. Does it come in a smaller size? It is a little big for her to manage herself as she has a hard time tipping it back far enough to drink from when in her highchair and if I fill it up full it is too heavy.

I couldn't open your link, but it looks like yours are 12oz?  I have some 10oz that I bought at Wal-Mart.... :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Sandra Jo Simon

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 19:49:02 pm »
Hi I was on line when I saw your Question regarding the nuby sippy cups. My son used the soft nipple sippy cup and stuck his finger in the slit where they drink from and ripped it almost in half. We then went to the hard nipple with a flip top cover. I was washing the cup yesterday and the decoration started to come off. I bught the cups about two or three weeks ago. Now the whole cup is sticky and I cannot use them. I did write to the company (thanks to you haveing there web site) and complained. I will let you know what happens. New member Sandra Simon :)

Offline Carys' mom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 03:47:34 am »
Hi,

We have two different types of Nuby sippy cups, one a smaller starter cup. Unfortunately I can't remember where we bought the smaller one  :oops: Most likely it was one of these stores: Target, Walmart, Walgreens, or Baby Depot (in Burlington Coat Factory). The cup has the silicone spout and has handles on the sides for the baby to grip onto.

One problem I've run into with the Nuby cups though is leakage. Has anyone else had that problem? My dd seems to drench herself very often (most often when she's laying on the floor and drinking).

Thanks...
Melanie
Mom to Carys Elizabeth (2/15/05) and Joshua August (8/16/07)

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 15:06:47 pm »
These cups were great as a "transitional" sippy for us.  We switched her formula to milk and put them in these soft spouted sippies.  Then we also gave her water in a regular sippy throughout the day so that she learned how to use those as well.  As soon as she got the hang of the water in the regular ones, we switched her milk to them as well.  I wouldn't use these as a "permanent" sippy cause as you said they're very similar to bottles and yes, I had issues with leaking and they don't hold up very well (they are only $1.50 each...).  But they were awesome for teaching my little one how to such from that type of spout.  Good luck!

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 15:29:47 pm »
We have been using this sippy for a couple months now and Caeden is just starting to get the hang of it. Since we have breastfeed only I decided to use that instead of trying a bottle. So far he does okay, usually takes a couple sips after solids and usually keeps most of it in his mouth!
I love the cup!!! Haven't seen it in a smaller size though and that is hard for us to - to get it easy to drink it needs to be full but then it's heavier too. I figure it will get easier with  time.

Another question - some had expressed concern that this cup is similar to a bottle and pose the same challenges as a bottle in dirnking all the time - as Caeden gets older should I try getting him into another sippy cup? What is the "harm" in using sippy cups longer term?
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

mommasboys

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 15:38:03 pm »
That is the sippy that we started out using and dorian got off the bottle VERY easy while drinking from this sippy.  But now that he's alittle older and is more aware of what he's doing, he'll bite it and mess up the spill proof part.   Now we use evenflo dazzlers and they are GREAT!!!!.

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 21:21:35 pm »
I think the concern about the soft spout sippy's is the liquid still has a chance to pool in their mouth like with a regular bottle. And they worry about tooth decay and proper oral development so it's now suggested kids only use sippy's as a transition to regular cups. HTH a bit... :)

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008