Author Topic: Hasn't nursed all afternoon!!! WHY?!?!?  (Read 911 times)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Hasn't nursed all afternoon!!! WHY?!?!?
« on: December 05, 2005, 00:53:46 am »
OK, Natalie has a cold, but yesterday she nursed pretty often. Her appetite for solids is better than it was for her last cold, where she gave them up completely, but she's not really wolfing it down as usual. So....it's almost 8PM and she last nursed at NOON!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I finally had to pump to give my breasts some relief, but she seems to think the bottle is for chewing on, and will NOT nurse or take the bottle, so no breast  milk since noon. Maybe - MAYBE - an ounce of water in all that time, and some solids but hardly a lot, especially compared to her usual intake. I know she can breathe enough to nurse since she can breathe while sucking on her pacifier.

What the heck? And what do I DO? Last night she spent over an hour and a half settling down but wouldn't sleep till she nursed well, after which she slept for hours and hours, but tonight I'm not holding out much hope for getting out of the house to even grocery shop kid-free....  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 01:55:48 am »
Well, she didn't wanta sleep either, so I brought her downstairs to watch the weather (we're expecting snow tomorrow, wanted to find out when). After she'd been down half an hour (you know, after The Simpsons, which I haven't seen for years LOL), I decided to show DH what I'd been putting up with since 2PM when I first tried to nurse her this afternoon. First boob she turned away her head, second boob she pushed me away but then a few moments later started rooting for a boob and nursed. I figure she'd been waiting for me to give up and have a beer - so hey, she got a beer. She was tired enough by then that she even let DH put her to bed! LOL (not without 5 minutes of blood-curdling screaming, tho! :?)

So.... is it just the cold? The last cold (3 weeks ago) she nursed like she'd never see my boobs again, I was totally engorged. Or is it her newfound interest in solids? Granted she takes 3 squares a day most days, and with the cold it's 3 small meals a day, with water offered (and she LIKES the trainer cup, BTW) but very little actually taken.

HEEEEELP!!!!!!

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 02:03:44 am »
Maybe she has a sore throat from the drainage?

We've been battling colds/flu every few weeks here too it seems and I'm sick of it!  :evil:  Max is different every time - sometimes eats like a horse and others won't eat.

I would watch her for fever/ear infection, but otherwise, do just like you did. Pump if you're engorged or if she misses two feeds, and keep on offering. We usually see a nursing strike around 7.5-8 months, so you could be about ready for that too. On top of being sick. Isn't this fun?  :lol:  :roll:  :wink:

Hope you're all feeling better soon and you don't get snowed in.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies