Author Topic: 4 months old...how much formula? Is on thickened formula...  (Read 1382 times)

Offline kirsty_167

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • My little munchkin!!
4 months old...how much formula? Is on thickened formula...
« on: December 05, 2005, 03:23:40 am »
jakob is 4 months and we havent increased his bottles for sometime now due to reflux.If we gave him more hed be more sick than before.However i find on some bottles he cries aftrewards as if he wants more...but i dont know how much to give him.Currently he has 180ml..well its 180ml water but once the thickened formula is added it is on the 210-220 mark.....so how much formula is he having 180 or 220??? Might seem like a dumb question i know sorry.....any help greatly appreciated!!!!!! :roll:

Offline NKmommy

• AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 03:54:05 am »
Not a dumb question at all!!!  I wondered the same when we were thickening bottles for reflux.  I would probably count the pre-thickened formula as the ml total, although the extra cereal will help him with reflux and extra nutrients.  We always had to feed small amounts throughout the day due to reflux pain, but if your little guy seems to be crying for more, maybe just go based on his cues?  That's great that he seems to have an appetite. 

Hang in there!  GERD stinks...     :wink:
Sheila
ng

Offline kirsty_167

• My little munchkin!!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 09:13:44 am »
thanks for the reply....yes gerd is not pleasant for the poor wee babies.It has been hard to keep him full due to spilling heaps,the pain etc etc.Everyone has said..just feed him more....obvioulsy they havent had kids with gerd lol...that just isnt how its done.Sometimes i give him top ups in between feeds if i think he is hungry....or if he has spilled more often than usual.

His thickened formula is a premade thickened formula...we dont add cereal.it is a heavier formula designed to stay down  better....so am i giving him 180 (amount in bottle before formula added) or 220 ml? (amount in bottle after formula added) This i am so confused on.

Tonight i put 240ml of water in his bottle, as the can instructed for his age and then the 4 scoops of formula...just fits!!! so that means he had about 250 ml!!! (once mixed) he seemed very very happy and very very full!!!! he didnt cry tonight liek he usually does and went to sleep in 5 mins of being put down.I am about to go give him his dream feed (again with increased amount) and we shall wait and see what he does in the morning and wether he still wakes early (this months latest issue...5.40am wake ups!!!)

any help greatly appreciated...
thanks kirsty :lol:

Offline kirsty_167

• My little munchkin!!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 08:48:18 am »
please can any1 help me out here??? I uped his bottle but he actually then woke in the night and was worse...so instead now gave him more solids instead.......please any1 know what i should be givinh him? he is 6.9kgs