Author Topic: Do babies self-regulate formula intake?  (Read 1485 times)

Offline moosemom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Do babies self-regulate formula intake?
« on: December 05, 2005, 05:34:36 am »
Hi,
I've exclusively BF my 5-month-old and am now adding a bottle of formula at night and supplementing after he feeds with a few ounces of formula from the bottle.  Does anyone know if he will stop himself when he gets full?  Because he seems to want more.  I've skimmed as many posts as I can, but there are so many, so am sorry if I'm repeating a topic.  Maybe he is comfort-sucking from the bottle, not understanding that it continues to give milk, unlike the breast?  As an experiment, today I gave him 4 ounces instead of 2 after each BF and he took it readily, even taking 6 right before bed after nursing.  No spitting up, and not much gas, either.  Can't tell how much breast milk he's getting, as I've been unable to pump since he was 3 months (I pumped for 9 months with first born, but the second born is super-powered; he's stronger than the hospital-grade pump! so my milk doesn't let down to the pump anymore), so I can't do a yield.  We will start solids in another month.   He's not a frequent pooper, either, so I think he's using up most of what he gets.  Any thoughts?

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 09:51:17 am »
Hi

TBH I don't know the exact answer to this, I can only give you my own experience, which is that my DD would stop eating when she was full. That said, she was exlusively bottle fed - it might be different for a BF baby.

If he's not spitting up that would suggest that he's not too full. You could try making up a larger bottle and see how much he will eat.

You might want to post this in the breast feeding forum as well so see if the ladies in there have any suggestions.

love
Marie

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 14:01:53 pm »
I'll second that Marie

William has been exclusively bottle fed and has regulated how much he has eaten ever since birth.

At first I used to put the standard amount of formula recommended for his age on the packet in his bottle and monitored if he needed more or less by what he ate. Over time i added a little more if he drained his bottles and that way have offered him enough to satisfy him.
 He will stop eating when he has had enough and will plainly show if he wants more once the bottle is empty. He's never over fed himself and spat up.

Just recently hes setted onto a constant 8 oz a bottle and more often than not empties it but is satisfied.

H xx

Offline moosemom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 03:40:35 am »
Thank you, both.  My lo slept through the night for the first time again since he was 2 months old.  I think he is delighted to be getting the extra calories, and I felt confident repeating the supplements today (letting him have as much as he wanted) after reading your posts.  Hoping for a repeat performance tonight!

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 10:09:57 am »
Thats excellent news!
Pleased to have helped!

I hope things continue to go really well for you and your LO.

Helen xx