Author Topic: Dream feeding !!! How?  (Read 1052 times)

Offline OneMagicMummyv2

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Dream feeding !!! How?
« on: December 05, 2005, 10:59:11 am »
i can not get Harrison to dream feed and stay asleep. 

can some one give me a 101 on how to do a dream feed on the breast.  if he stays asleep he wont latch roperly and i end up having to wake him to eat and then we start with the whole unsettled thing he does after each feed which can take upto 30-45 mins to settle him again(reflux and wind)

he is a totaly guzzler taking only 10-15 mins at a feed but if i leve him on longer than 20 mins he will throw it back at me and get all unsettled and be hard to console.  he did this twice throught the night after i fell asleep feeding him in bed.

thanks

Kiz

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Dream feeding !!! How?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 01:52:59 am »
I found with my ds, I really had to catch him in the right sleep stage to do a df. You may try experimenting with your ds to see what part of the sleep cycle he is best at remaining asleep at.

Mine slept in the living room during this part of his life, so I just kept the lights out and quietly snuck in to feed him about 10 minutes after I heard him "transition" from deep to lighter sleep. He usually fed well and went back to sleep. Our df only lasted until 8 weeks, when he started waking more often during the night for gas. When I stopped it, he slept through, which is pretty rare.

Best of luck!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Dream feeding !!! How?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 16:26:10 pm »
when i first started the dreamfeed i found it impossible to breastfeed so i would pump and give dd a bottle, of which she didn't seem to want much either.  after about 5 days i just started giving her the breast and it took forever to get her to latch but i would sit there and keep tickling her lip until she finally took it.  now she'll be fast asleep and and as soon as she feels something on her lip she opens like a little bird ready to eat!  my lo is almost 6 months and i'm still doing the dreamfeed b/c she also has reflux and i can't seem to get her to take more milk during the day so i find it necessary to 'tank her up' at night.  as with anything new, it takes hard work and commitment on your part, but your lo will get used to it if you are consistant!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005