Author Topic: Sleeping a new born  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Jyates

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Sleeping a new born
« on: December 05, 2005, 11:51:25 am »
Hi I am concerned about sleeping my new born baby . I am all set for sleeping it in a cot in its own bedroom next to my room, which is very close from birth. I have a baby monitor to listen in on baby. But relatives have said that this is unexceptable and baby should sleep in a moses basket in my bedroom for aleast the first six weeks. I have a moses basket for day time sleep but I am concerned what is the right thing to do could somebody let me know thanks
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Sleeping a new born
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 15:15:26 pm »
the right thing is whatever you think the right thing is. Don't let other people tell you differently. I personally kept my LO in a bassinet by my bed for the first 4 weeks. More out of convenence.
It is easier to have your LO by your bed for feeding at first, but not necessarally better. We moved our LO out because we were getting no sleep. Everytime the baby moved or made the slightest sound it would wake us.
If you feel more comfortable having your baby in their own room then do that. Your LO will not be harmed by that.

Now that said it is true that newborns for the most part do better in bassinets, they like the closer quarters. We used the bassinet in the nurcery till she was 10 weeks and she was to big, then we transfered her to the crib. She's had no trouble with it. She sleeps through the night now. We've never really used our monitor as her room is so close, but it would be fine for keeping an ear on your LO.

The main thing is to do what YOU feel is best. What is best for some is not best for others.

Congratulatins on the new baby btw :) boy or girl?? (curious)
HTH

Kimberly
Kimberly

Offline Jyates

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Sleeping a new born
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 11:24:53 am »
Quote from: Karita
the right thing is whatever you think the right thing is. Don't let other people tell you differently. I personally kept my LO in a bassinet by my bed for the first 4 weeks. More out of convenence.
It is easier to have your LO by your bed for feeding at first, but not necessarally better. We moved our LO out because we were getting no sleep. Everytime the baby moved or made the slightest sound it would wake us.
If you feel more comfortable having your baby in their own room then do that. Your LO will not be harmed by that.

Now that said it is true that newborns for the most part do better in bassinets, they like the closer quarters. We used the bassinet in the nurcery till she was 10 weeks and she was to big, then we transfered her to the crib. She's had no trouble with it. She sleeps through the night now. We've never really used our monitor as her room is so close, but it would be fine for keeping an ear on your LO.

The main thing is to do what YOU feel is best. What is best for some is not best for others.

Congratulatins on the new baby btw :) boy or girl?? (curious)
HTH

Kimberly

Hi thanks for replying not had it yet due monday 12th so getting alittle stressed now and not sure whether boy or girl as legs were crossed on scan lol, hoping for a boy
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Sleeping a new born
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 12:22:50 pm »
When my SIL had her DS (now 6) she had DS in the nursery from day 1.  He has come to no harm, he's a proper little charmer.  I had my DD in my room as a new born until about 12 weeks when she outgrew her moses basket.  The fact of the matter is, I couldn't be parted from her, in the end we just put her in her cot, she slept just as well as she did in her moses basket, and me and DP slept soundly, we should have put in her room sooner.

Do what you think is best don't let anybody tell you any different.  Good luck and keep us posted as to what you have.   :D
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel