Author Topic: 7 week old really suffering from wind  (Read 1574 times)

Offline rhysjohn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 05, 2005, 12:23:13 pm »
Can anyone please help my 7 week old son he feeds every 2 1/2 hours on cow and gate premium and takes 3 to 4 1/2 ounces and is putting on weight.we seem to be able to get him to burp after his feed but after about 1 hour he very uncomfortable and can't keep still.He hardly ever sleeps during the day but did seem to sleep from 8 till 5 at night but still waking for a feed every 2 1/2 hours without too much problem untill  5 am when we think there was a build up of wind and he would then cry.This has now changed such that he can't settle after his feeds at night and is wriggling and wimpering whilst asleep.we have tried diferent formulas (cow and gate omneo gave him diorhea,plus made him constipated)also tried infacol and woodwards gripe water and colief all with no lasting effects.He was also diagnosed with mild reflux at 3 weeks so was taking gaviscon for a couple of weeks but he doesnt seem to suffer with acid anymore.

could anyone please help

thanks

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
7 week old really suffering from wind
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 13:51:48 pm »
Hiya
So sorry to hear that you LO is suffering.
Just a few thoughts - when you tried infacol how long did you persevere with it? Did you use it for every feed?? Just that it gets more effective the more you use it and after a short while I found it invaluable for my windy little man.
Also which bottles are you using? Do you use anti colic bottles? I use Dr Browns / B-free bottles which are absolutely wonderful for cutting down the gas... may be worth buying a pair from Boots (about £12 though) to see if they help. I got all mine 2nd hand from ebay much cheaper.
Thirdly be careful with keep altering babies formula - it takes their little systems a while to get used to new ones. I have had Will on Omneo Comfort. Yes it did cause more wind and odd bowel habits while it was settling in but once Will was used to it he was a changed baby.. hardly any wind, no consitpation etc etc.
Lastly have you tried Colief?? You can get it from the chemist at £10 but the Dr will give it you free on prescription. It breaks down all of the lactose in the milk which early on can be difficult for babies to digest, and I found it fantastic for William.

Sorry to have waffled on - I had a very windy little boy and via the methods above he was transformed. No two LOs are the same though so just hope my thoughts might help you. Im afraid I havent had any experience with reflux to help on that score.

Take care

Helen

Offline Ennypen

• My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 13:53:50 pm »
oops just remembered you said youve used colief... again it may be worth persevering with as it takes a whie to get used to.

H xxx

Offline rhysjohn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 14:42:27 pm »
Hello Helen
Sorry i forgot to mention we are using Dr Browns bottles which seem to make things a little better.Regarding Colief do you have to put it in the milk 4 hours before or can you put it in before a feed

thanks for you help

john

Offline Ennypen

• My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 15:14:23 pm »
Hi John

The dose of Colief is 2 drops 4 hours before feeding if you make up formua from powder. If ready mixed carton formula is used it says use 4 drops half an hour before.
You have to be careful to add it when the formula is slightly warm as its an enzyme and wont work if the milk is too hot or too cold. Thats why it has to be in the milk for some time before feeding - to break all the lactose down.
I really did find it a mirace for William - hes amost 5 months now and weve taken him off it and he's just fine.
We still use omneo comfort but hes going to be weaned slowly onto a normal formula soon - but only one bottle a day for a while so he can get used to it slowly.
Don't worry too much - gassy babies are all over the place bless them due to their immature digestive systems. It gets much better between 3 and 4 months when their system gets used to life.

H xxx