Author Topic: Can I bf while expecting  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Windsurfer's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
    • http://www.crystal-seasons.co.uk
Can I bf while expecting
« on: December 05, 2005, 14:26:29 pm »
I have an 8 month old who has 1 bottle a day. We have started trying for our next bundle of joy and I am worried that I need to stop bf ??? any advice
clare
Life's a journey, not a destination!

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 254
Can I bf while expecting
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 20:50:33 pm »
Don't worry; you don't need to wean.  So long as you have a low-risk pregnancy, you can breastfeed right through your pregnancy and even after you have your next lo (tandem nursing).  So go for it!
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline Windsurfer's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Can I bf while expecting
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 21:03:14 pm »
:) Thanks I really love to give Kai his bedtime bf and would have loathed to have given it up..
Clare

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
Can I bf while expecting
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 02:44:45 am »
Make sure to go into it knowing that your milk supply will seriously decrease to almost nothing at about 20 weeks pregnant. You will need to offer formula at that time if your dc is not a year old yet.

I've nursed through parts of three pregnancies now. It is draining, literally  :lol: , but doable. You have to make yourself eat enough calories and drink enough water through the morning sickness or your milk will not keep up.

Have your cycles returned yet?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Windsurfer's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Can I bf while expecting
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 13:52:52 pm »
:D Great to know I can cont. to bf. I had forgot about sickness but will cross that bridge as and when.
 :? My monthly periods have not started which does trouble me?
I am 36 years old and we do want another child.
I noticed that you have 2 who are 19 months apart and now looking forward to twins- wonderful . What is your advice regarding age gaps, is there any difference between 17 months and 24?
thanks clare

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Can I bf while expecting
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 15:11:25 pm »
Was wondering, too, (this seems to be my little research project, though at present not pregnant myself) -
 is the milk qualitatively (nutritional value) the same (as before pregnancy) until 20 weeks? what about after?
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby

Offline GraceKellysmom

Can I bf while expecting
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 20:36:19 pm »
I don't know if I've ever seen any research regarding the nutritional value of a pregnant woman's milk.  :?  I don't see it being tested because they don't like to test much about a pregnant woman, and breastfeeding during pregnancy is still a little taboo.

Normal cycles usually return between 4-6 months postpardem, but it is very normal for a mother's cycle not to return until she has mostly weaned her baby or longer.

My first two are 17 months apart and it is definately not easy. I sure wouldn't change it for the world. Anything younger than that would be beyond my capabilitites as a mom. I am glad Max will be almost 2 when the twins are born, although emotionally that age gap will be harder on him and me, physically he will be capable of more. (Grace was so young she didn't know life without Max and had very little jealousy, although I was still having to carry her around and help her with everything, much like having two babies) It really depends on what type of children you get, which unfortunately we still can't custom order an angel! LOL
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Windsurfer's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Can I bf while expecting
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 12:31:45 pm »
:) we may leave it to nature to choose! kai came to us v v easily but we may not be so lucky again.  Glad to know all is well with the twins, that will be fun 1
clare

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Can I bf while expecting
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 19:14:23 pm »
So, if we don't know what exactly is in the milk, can we rely on that as the baby's sole, or main, nutririon?
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby

Offline Windsurfer's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Can I bf while expecting
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 19:34:59 pm »
Many people seem to have successfully brest fed whilst pregnant, suggesting to me that the milk is fine and the unborn baby is not affected.  i am more than happy to continue bf if we are lucky enough to get pregnant again.
 :lol:

Offline GraceKellysmom

Can I bf while expecting
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 19:52:38 pm »
The lc's that I have talked to tell me that the baby inside of you gets all the nutrients first. The milk gets all the nutrients second. And your own body gets whatever is left. And pregnancy or nursing while pregnant can "leech" nutrients and minerals from your body if you are not intaking enough. Calcium is a big one. It is important to have excellent nutrition during pregnancy, especially back-to-back pregnancies and even more so if nursing while pregnant. Eating good through the morning sickness is not easy.

I think it is important to watch nursing baby while pregnant, are they gaining enough weight? That will tell you they are getting what they need. Once baby has started solids, it is easier to nurse while pregnant. I truly can't imagine nursing 6+ times per day while pregnant, with a baby under 6 months old, but I would do it if I had to.
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline Fife_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 23
Can I bf while expecting
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 20:11:36 pm »
Hi,

I found a couple of LLL web pages I thought were interesting:
http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bfpregnant.html

This one goes into more details, but is quite reassuring.
http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug00p116.html

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned but tender nipples during the first 6 weeks or so of pregnancy might worry you but that soon passed for me.

Vicky

Vicky - Proud Mum to:
Fraser 29/03/2004,
Arwen 24/09/2005,
Sophie 20/11/2007