Author Topic: Help tonight...food allergy!  (Read 2638 times)

Offline MomtoRee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: December 06, 2005, 02:45:09 am »
Ok, I think that Reegan has a shellfish allergy.  Tonight after dh gave her a bath and I went to dress her for bed I noticed hives all over.  Dh didn't notice them at all :x Anyway, I called the dr and she said that in 2 hours if her breathing was ok she would be ok to put to bed but I am still worried.  After an hour and a half she fell asleep with me holding her because it was past bedtime and she was really tired.  After 3 hours I put her in her crib. 
Do you all think that she is ok if there are no breathing problems yet?  Do you think that I should sleep with her or keep her up? 
I did give her some meds but it doesn't seem to have helped.  They have not gotten any better at all.  Thanks.
Ree November 2004

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
Help tonight...food allergy!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 02:55:19 am »
I would think that if she was going to have a severe anaphylactic reaction then it would have happened by now.  Do you or dh have an allergy to shellfish?  You may want to check in on her during the night but I would not keep her awake.  I really think she will be ok.  Did the doc recommend some Benadryl?
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline MomtoRee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 03:03:49 am »
I did give her Benadryl but it doesn't seem to have done anything after 2 hours. 

I have no allergies at all and Dh has mild seasonal ones, no fish, but there is no one in either family that has any food allery.  That is wy I was on here because the family is no help! 

Thanks for the help!
Ree November 2004

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 03:05:37 am »
What did she eat?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline MomtoRee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 03:09:55 am »
shrimp..sorry.  she only ate one bite too.
Ree November 2004

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 03:16:55 am »
I would continue to check on her until you go to bed. If there are just hives, and no breathing problems, she is probably going to be fine. Can you contact the pediatrician or nurse after hours line to feel better? Oh wait - you did. I have to say I agree with them. Be careful with NO further exposure, and allergy testing as soon as your doc will allow.

Has she gotten anything else today that is strange.

And unrelated, when was her first birthday, and has she had the MMR shot or chickenpox shot recently?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline MomtoRee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 03:22:28 am »
she hasn't had anything else today that was new or soemthing that she doesn't have almost daily.  She had her 1 year shots about a month ago so not too recent. 
She did have eye surgery on Friday and then she had a 102 - 104 temp all weekend.  She didn't have a fever at all today.  The doctor saw her on Friday and found nothing.  I told the dr this and described teh hives/bumps to her and she said that was typical food allergy. 
I guess I just needed some people to tell me I wasn't crazy to just check on her and leave her in her crib. 
Thanks.
Ree November 2004

Offline Pete's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 05:06:15 am »
Hope she is doing better.  Just to keep in mind and in case you weren't aware the MMR and chickenpox vac.  have a delayed reaction of up to 6 weeks - at least that is what the handout I have from the doctor's office says.
Jen
-----------
Peter Andrew 11/23/04

Offline janelle

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 05:12:10 am »
Hope she is feelling better and that you are feeling less worried too :D   My dh has a severe shellfish allergy.  His throat and tongue swell up almost immediatley and breathing problems occur within the first minute or so.  He will sometimes develop a rash up to several hours after he has eaten shellfish or if say something is cooked in a pan that previously had shellfish in but if there are any breathing problems they will occur in the first minute or two and not later.  I owuld avoid exposing your little one to anymore shellfish unless you are 100% certain that the reaction was something else as it is one of those allergies that can be life threatening.
Liana (6)- 9th January  2004
Liam (4) - 8th March 2006
and my beautiful new bub!

Offline MomtoRee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 14:25:33 pm »
Thanks everyone!  She is sleeping on me now and the hives are worse  this  morning!!!!  Are the hives normally just on the trunk?  She only has them on her trunk, neck, and under her hair.
We are heading into the dr in a little bit. I gave her a seco0nd dose of Benadryl last night when I checked on her.  I woke her up because I still saw them.  I am just freaking out!
Ree November 2004

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 14:47:08 pm »
Try not to freak out, your baby needs you calm so she will not freak out.  How is she acting?  Is she scratching them any?  The hives can be localized to one area or all over the body.  They can last up to 3-4 days.  The Benadryl is mainly to help with the itching.  It will not make them disappear automatically.  It is good that you are taking her to the doctor though, just to get her checked out.   It is probably affecting you worse than her, so try to be calm for her ok.  You and she are going to be fine.  :wink:  :)
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline MomtoRee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 18:24:00 pm »
Lynne - Thanks for the reply.  It is just hard not to freak out when something like this happens. 

I just got back the doctor and she is down for another nap.  The doctors, there were two that looked at her, said that they think that it is a viral rash.  They said that it had chararistics of a allergic rash but also chararistics of a viral one.  Basiclly said that there is nothing they can do and let it run its course  :( .  But, she did say to stay away from seafood, just in case.  Gave me a bunch of things to watch for and to bring her back in if any of them happen.  I just hate there is nothing to do to help her but I am sure that everyone feels the same way when something like this happens. 

Thanks for all the help.  It is so great to have a place where I can get answers so fast. 

Valorie
Ree November 2004

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 20:23:57 pm »
I'm so glad she's doing ok and they saw her this morning.
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 21:44:00 pm »
Hey Valorie, you poor thing you've had a shocker! How fab all the mums have been on this forum rallying around to support you - well done ladies so glad we have this forum.

Sometimes Liv comes out in hives and to be honest, often has no other symptoms . She doesn't itch/scratch them and doesn't seem to be upset by anything else, they just look ugly and totally freak me out. Getting used to it now but it was REALLY scary at first. I took photos last time I was so freaked! Does your dd have any other symptoms that are upsetting her?

Hope she's doing better today.

Sara

Offline MomtoRee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 02:02:05 am »
She doesn't have any other symptoms except that she just acts like she doesn't feel well.  This morning she just laid on me and slept on and off until we went to the doctor.  When we got home from the doctor she took an almost 3 hour nap  :shock:!  That to me just says that she is not feeling right.  Besides that she doesn't act like they bother her or they ich.  Well, she started a nasty little cough  today.

I can't imagine her breaking out with these on a regular basis.  I don't know if I could ever get used to her having these!
Ree November 2004