Author Topic: So many problems, don't know where to start...  (Read 1019 times)

Offline tmbush00

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
So many problems, don't know where to start...
« on: December 06, 2005, 04:33:05 am »
hjbiubuihbu9

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 13:52:59 pm »
Hi there,

I think there are a few issues here which you need to tackle slowly and one step at a time:

1. Medication or treatment for reflux
2. Sorting out her bed
3. Getting back onto EASY
4. Building up trust after CIO

Mads had reflux, and I am not sure whether your DD is on any meds, but I would highly recommend taking her to the docs and getting something to help her. We also used to follow a general rule after feeds, that she would need to be in an upright position for 20 mins after a feed - also, we learned not to wind her by patting her back, but gently rubbing it in a circular motion while she was on our shoulder to get the wind up. All of this helps to keep their feed down. Is DD on any solids? How is she doing with that? Is she breast or bottle fed? as we ended up buying a slightly more expensive forumlar for reflux babies that helped her keep it down, it was heaps thicker than regular formular and we had to go out and buy new fast flow teats for the bottle so she could get it out - but it was worth it.

Re: her sleeping - I think you have to make her bed as similar as possible to yours as she is obviously happy in your bed. We elevated Mads mattress with a pillow or two underneath and then put rolled up towels down either side of the cot to keep her in place. To hold the towels in place we put her fitted sheet over the towels and her on top. It stopped her from rolling down the foot of the bed.

I think the next important step is getting back on EASY - she could be having trouble sleeping because she is overtired as well as the reflux, and sleep training with an overtired baby is tough. What does your day look like at the moment with naps/feeds?

I also think it is important to hold off on sleep training for a little while for two reasons - until her reflux is under control you are never going to know if she is crying because she is uncomfortable with reflux or crying because she needs your help to get to sleep. Work at getting her back onto EASY and use this time to start building her trust again with her cot. You can do this by putting her in her cot at different times during the day, just to play. The important thing here is if she cries as soon as she is put in her cot - you have to do whatever you need to do to distract her - pull silly faces, play peek a boo anything - so that she starts to have positive associuation with the cot. Again this is all done in baby steps - once she is happy in there with toys for 5 mins playing - start to move away from the cot and talk to her (stay in eye shot) whilst you do things in her room, once she is happy with this, move on to telling her 'mummy just need to go and put these clothes in the airing cupboard, I will be right back..' and then leave the room for a second, before returning - all of this is building her trust again, that when you leave you will return!

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Dee
x

Offline nics

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 14:45:00 pm »
Because of her reflux - I have to agree with Dee that this may not be the best time for trying to implement sleep training. DD is 13 months & we are only 2 weeks into PU/PD method. Until now she has been going asleep sitting propped up on with either me or her dad (after her last bottle). Then transferred into the cot after about 40 mins & taken into the bed onto pillows if bad again in the night. that was OK till she fell out of the bed when I was on my own  :oops: I honestly felt that she was miserable enough for hours every day with the pain of reflux & that it was no big sacrifice for us to settle her to sleep for a few months. I certainly wouldn't let her cry-it -out.

In the past few weeks her reflux is greatly improved & we are able to tackle the sleep issue - and she is still young enough to train!

HTH & good luck

Offline tmbush00

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 02:39:13 am »
Thanks for the advice.  Right now I guess we are just trying to sort things out.  My daughter is on meds, has been since 5 wks.  Due to a nasty trip to the emergency due to reflux issues, she has had loads of different doctors all with different advice from one extreme to the other on feedings/sleeping.  Add that to me trying out what I research, my husband and I have committed a lot of "accidental parenting".  They say she should now be trainable, and that's where we're at.  I like the towel idea underneath the sheets to keep her situated, better than the 5lb bags of sugar recommended by a doctor! 

Good news: PU/PD worked wonders at nap time today.  Never had a problem with the mornign nap, so I tried it for the long afternoon nap, and it only took 40 minutes!!!  Trust me, I was thrilled.  Maybe in a couple more days, and with upped meds (6mo checkup coming up), we will be sailing through the evenings.