Author Topic: Tongue Sucking??????? Self soothing???  (Read 23222 times)

Offline Lara's Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« on: December 06, 2005, 13:32:19 pm »
my 8 week old has been sucking her tongue now for the past three days... everybody around me insists that she is hungry but she is on 3 hour EASY and i know she's not... is this some form of sel-soothing, like thumb sucking... and is there any harm to it???
Shahira
Mum to Lara, Born 13/10/05
Spirited Textbook Libran

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
Tongue Sucking??????? Self soothing???
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 13:55:32 pm »
Mads developed this technique when we took her dummy away...and for her it was definetly self soothing - so I think you are right. Are there any other signs that she is hungry? If not then your little one has done very well in learning this technique so early - well done you!

Dee
x

Offline millieh

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 15:54:29 pm »
my 8 wk bb does exactly the same thing, he used to suck is upper lip and now he sucks his tongue. I know he is definitely not hungry as he is also on the 3hr routine.  I believe its a soothing thing since he can't suck his thumb or fingers yet. :)

Offline shweta

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 18:07:31 pm »
My 4 month old daughter has recently started sucking her thumb, its her favourite passtime now. Dont know what ot do, as it irritates me like hell. I know its self soothing, but is it advisable, what if they carry the habit in their toddler hood, when do we stop them sucking.....very confused. She used to sleep on her own, no problems, but now she wants her thumb. Any suggesstions :)

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 19:48:32 pm »
My dd used to self soothe with her tongue as well. I could NOT for the life of me get her to take a pacifer. Finally I gave her a lovey and started sticking the corner of it in her mouth to suck. She learned pretty quickly how to do it herself. I started giving her a lovey at around 2 months and also unswaddled one arm at that point as well so she could either suck her hand or try and get lovey back in her mouth. HTH. :wink:
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline tmbush00

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 22:17:44 pm »
My eldest daughter started sucking her tongue to self soothe when learning how to put herself to sleep when she was about 6 mo old.  She's 3 yrs old now and still does it to put herself to sleep. The doctor told us to ignore it  in hopes that it will eventually go away.  We have, and we hope the doctor is right.

Offline shweta

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 16:47:05 pm »
Thank you for your reply. Should I let her suck her thumb????? I am so confused. What if it develops into a toddler habit, I believe it must be pretty hard to get rid of it then it is now.

Any ideas.............???

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 19:21:57 pm »
I'm not sure why the thumb sucking would bother you Our DD (4 months) does this and we are SO glad. It calms her and we're not up 10 times putting her pacifier in. Most kids I know will stop sucking their thumbs when they are ready. Personally, I think it's cute and I just keep her hands really clean!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01