Author Topic: Choking and Sputtering  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Aiden and Marlo's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
Choking and Sputtering
« on: December 06, 2005, 14:17:20 pm »
Marlo seems to have a sensitive gag reflex or something.  She chokes a LOT on her bottle, and she did on the breast sometimes too.  Then she sounds all congested.  The congestion doesn't sound like it's in her nose, more like in the back of her throat.

What is this and what do I do??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lori

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Choking and Sputtering
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 14:53:53 pm »
Hi Lori

What flow teats are you using? It could be that the flow is just too fast for her.

I'd start by trying to keep her more upright when you're feeding her - so the milk isn't flowing straight at the back of her throat. If you're using the slowest flow teats already then thickening the formula might help a little.

love
Marie

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Choking and Sputtering
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 15:40:25 pm »
My lo uses thicked formula to help her reflux.  Not sure if it does.  At the doc's last week, I forgot to add the simply thick. :oops:   Same thing you described.  Thickened the rest of the bottle and no trouble.  Seems she needs a slower flow nipple if the formula is thin.  HTH.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline B1PZNT49

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 19:24:03 pm »
We just arrived home from the hospital...my 7 week old suffered the same, also made a gaspy, sqeaky sound when eating..
they did a scope on her, she has laryngomalacia(floppy larnyx syndrome)..he epiloglottis never developed fully so she has a floppy airway and difficulty eating..sleeping as well...
you may want to look it up on the internet...sound like might be the case....