Author Topic: Bizzare question about toddler...  (Read 1805 times)

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Bizzare question about toddler...
« on: December 06, 2005, 15:13:29 pm »
:oops:
Would any of you offer your toddler (who hasn't nursed in over a year) to taste "the baby's" (breast) milk in a cup?

just curious
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby

Offline jbepko

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 15:27:50 pm »
If toddler has expressed an interest....I would. My DD was 3 yo when my son was born and had been BF. We talked about how I would feed the baby before he was born, etc. For the first two weeks she was very interested in my breasts- wanting to see them, touch them, help fasten nursing flaps, watch nursing sessions, even play with nipple once....I let her...and then she lost interest and hasn't asked anymore. I didn't want it to be something that was for baby only and not for her.
Jeni

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 19:06:40 pm »
If Nathan had wanted to I would have.  I don't express though so there's none around.

Offline Fife_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 20:02:40 pm »
I think I would - since your toddler is just curious - but only if he asked. Fraser's milk gets kept in the fridge but Arwen gets her milk from Mummy, so I can see this issue appearing for us soon when I begin to express some milk.

Has he asked?

Vicky - Proud Mum to:
Fraser 29/03/2004,
Arwen 24/09/2005,
Sophie 20/11/2007

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 20:35:13 pm »
I would.  Why wouldn't he be curious?  I wouldn't express milk just for the purpose, but if you already have EBM around, why not let him have a taste?  He'll probably take one swig and decide he's lucky he gets cow's milk!
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 20:46:51 pm »
Grace loves EBM. I used to give her the extras I pumped. She still asks for it when she sees the pump. I guess I don't think it's gross at all. I'm glad to give her the antibodies!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline OneMagicMummyv2

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 21:25:00 pm »
my older DS (age 3) was watching me feed DS2(he was about 9-14 days old) and i explained that thats where Harrisosn milk coems from and he looked and watched really intently so i asked if he wanted some he said yes sop i asked him to go get a cup off daddy and expressed a little for him.  he took one sip said eww and passed cup to his 12 month old sister.  DS1 has not brest fed since he was 12 weeks old and was not interested while i was BF DD 10 month ago.

(12 month and 17days between DD and DS2)

DS1 still likes to watch me feeding DS2.

Kiz

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 11:13:47 am »
Thanks. Glad to know I"m not crazy. He did ask once, but somehow i didn't think of it that time. He hasn't asked again, but he always stares, and is very curious. So I brought him a cup and gave him some and he asked for more!

I'm sure it would be really healthy for him too, and as I wish I could have nursed him longer, maybe I'll pump for him regularly.

Is this crazy?

:)
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 19:46:27 pm »
Nope, not crazy at all. Several of us have done this for our toddlers. If you have extra milk, why not?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Lilah'sMommy

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 22:09:42 pm »
I don't think it's crazy, either.  I mean, I'm going to start TTC soon and plan to nurse dd as long as she wants, even if it means tandem nursing.  So giving pumped milk to your still quite young ds1 doesn't even register on my craziness radar.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005, 07:43:14 am »
That's funny, cuz my husband said it sounded SO crazy that he couldn't even explain why. (Truth is, I hadn't meant to tell him, cuz I knew he'd feel that way, but ds asked for a taste when he was there, and I'm just honest-to-death!) I'm going to find a pump today and see if I can replace his quiet time milk bottle. (Wasn' t happy with him drinking cow milk when he's all stuffed up, anyway...)
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby

Offline Lilah'sMommy

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 21:32:05 pm »
Toddler nursing is seen as kind of weird these days, and though you wouldn't actually be nursing, but pumping and offering it in a cup, it kind of goes along with the territory.  But the truth is that many children the age of your older so are still nursing and not only is it okay, it's actually quite healthy.  But many people don't see it this way.  I know I for one started out saying something ignorant like, "Once the baby has teeth, I'm cutting her off!"  But here I am, nursing a 15-month old, with no intention to stop... and quite the advocate for such a practice, too.  I think that when you have your own children, you realize that even though your baby is growing up, s/he is still your BABY.  It makes a huge difference in how you feel about things like extended nursing.

And yes, I think that offering breastmilk instead of cow's milk when your son is stuffed up makes a lot of sense.  Does he just have a cold?  Or does he have allergies?  Either way, your milk (and thus, your antibodies) will help make a positive change.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

annamum

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 00:04:09 am »
Well, I just wanted to add that there are plenty of older toddlers nursing around, just not openly in public. I still nurse my dd who is now 22 months old and I can't imagine weaning her before she is ready. We are also planning to get pregnant soon and I will try to continue through the pregnancy, too. I live in California now and it is a very probreastfeeding state, I could see here more women breastfeeding their toddlers than women nursing their babies in Texas.

Good luck, and if you need any written info on that subject to let your dh read, let me know :D.

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 08:10:34 am »
Thanks, guys,
I don't think ds has allergies - just a cold on and off all winter. I grew up with allergies to cow dairy products, so I guess I developed a bit of animosity towards them.  :)
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby