Author Topic: Ds screamed for two hours straight  (Read 1068 times)

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Ds screamed for two hours straight
« on: December 06, 2005, 15:16:53 pm »
the second time I left the house on my own in the evening. the first time had gone fine- happy with DH, then fell asleep on him, and slept a lot of hours that night.
this time, same time of night, nursed him (two months) right before I left. He fell asleep nursing (which is often how he goes to bed at night) and woke up as I left.
DH joked that oh, now I can't leave, but he was kidding, and very happy to babysit.
When I came home two hours later, he had basically cried the whole time.
I nursed him and he fell asleep for the night.

He couldn't have been hungry, and he knows how to fall asleep without me, in fact DH often does it better than me.
 !?
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 20:37:36 pm »
That age is still so tough. Hopefully as he gets a little older he'll grow out of that screaming. Sounds like he may have been overtired?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 11:06:14 am »
So why didn't he go to sleep? He's quite used to falling asleep on DH like that, and he even nodded off a few times, only to wake up screaming again.
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 19:45:28 pm »
When they get overtired/overstimulated, they can't shut down. And even when they do, every startle will wake them up and they scream themselves down again. I remember that age as the hardest with both my kids. Everyone wants to talk and play with them since they are interacting by smiling and they just can't tell you it's enough until it's too late and the screaming begins.

Just remind your dh about how long of awake/activity time baby can take, and let him see the consequences if baby is kept up too long.

PS you may notice that it is easier for some babies to be nursed to sleep when they get overtired - the only thing that truly relaxes them. Others will scream and refuse to feed.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline M&M's Ima

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 21:17:45 pm »
I know it should be as you say, but I'm still confused about this particular incident, cuz the baby had been sleeping, then woke up and immediately started the screaming thing. I guess he didn't sleep enough and maybe was overtired when I put him down.
and DH insists he goes down better if he's been up longer, and the truth is, I've noticed this too, up to a certain point. Doesn't seem to make sense to me. Maybe he just has a really long window and isn't so Touchy in this case.   :?:
Anyway, I know I'm playing up the incident. I just felt so bad leaving him screaming, and want to make sure it doesn't happen again.
My boys:
Angel four year old
Spirited two year old
Very Sleepy Baby

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 01:07:18 am »
Thing is though, you need your sanity and a little alone time too. Do you have a cell phone or a way for dh to contact you if it were to happen again? That way you can leave with peace of mind.

{hugs} and at least you know ... they grow up way too fast.  :cry:  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies