Author Topic: too early bedtime?  (Read 1024 times)

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
too early bedtime?
« on: December 06, 2005, 15:55:35 pm »
DD has decided that her new bedtime is around 6-7pm.  Gets a df at 9-10 depending on how tired we are.  Generally wakes once at night to eat.  Are we putting her down too early?  She seems happy with this.  Actually went down at 5:30 yesterday because she decided to skip her last nap and play instead.  Is there a way to change this so she sleeps through?
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
too early bedtime?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 20:52:11 pm »
Nope, definately not too early.

Mine goes down at 6 pm on normal nights, and sleeps through until 6 am (sometimes later) the next morning. This is perfectly normal, and can actually be better for your lo. Earlier bedtimes often result in less night waking because they are getting a deeper, more restful sleep on the pm side of the night, and are more relaxed for the am side, allowing them to sleep through. It also sets up naps pretty nicely. But obviously that isn't always the case. If your lo prefers the early bedtime, enjoy the evening! While it can be a pain sometimes (especially when you want to be out later with her), most of the time it allows you to spend some time doing what you want, and she wakes up rested and happy. A lot of moms are early to bed advocates...I'm one of them :)

On the flip side though, it means that her day begins at 6 am (occasionally later, depending on how tired she is). Often this can't be helped...if your lo's biological clock gets her up at 6 am, it's not easy to change it, but it's possible with some work. You could try putting her to bed between 6:30 and 7 and try soothing in the am, but that doesn't always work, unfortunately. We just had to bite the bullet and get up with the sun. Remember you're working toward 11-12 hour nights, sleeping straight through. Early bedtimes often help with this, but I would base it on whatever time your lo normally wakes in the am.

Hope something in here helps!

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
too early bedtime?
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 20:58:44 pm »
I agree with everything Sonya said.  For the most part, you determine when your baby goes to sleep.  If 6-7 PM works for you, and that's when the baby goes to sleep, that's great!!  The occassional 5:30 PM bedtime is not a problem, either.  It's better to let babies sleep half an hour earlier if they're tired than to try to keep them up - it would just take longer for them to get to sleep and neither you nor the baby will be happy campers.
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
too early bedtime?
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 20:59:48 pm »
Yep, that helps.  Thanks!!  I already have to get up early on the days I work.  She is usually still asleep when I leave at 6:30.  I just look forward to the days she goes to daycare and I am home.  Nap time!!
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.