Author Topic: signs of teething??  (Read 1649 times)

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
signs of teething??
« on: December 06, 2005, 16:36:01 pm »
dd doesn't want to eat much the last couple of days and i was wondering could this be because of teething??she has all classic signs of teething red cheeks, diaper rash, crankiness, drooling, and little white bumps showing through bottom gum that keep inching higher and higher (no redness though).  now she has started being a little fussy at feedings and i was wondering if i should be maybe pumping and trying to give her a bottle or just keep trying with the breast??  also, she has been having A LOT of bowel movement's the last few days, this coming from a baby who had bm's every few days if that - is this a sign of teething also??  are there any other signs i should be looking out for??  sorry if this is in the wrong board couldn't find where to put it!  thanks.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
signs of teething??
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 20:02:27 pm »
Hi my dd was born June 13, 2005 and we are just getting teeth with all of the same syptoms you just mentioned. I have just continued to try and nurse if she doesn't take it that's fine but since I know she's not feeling that well I do offer again sooner than the regular 4 hours if she hasn't taken a full feed. dd has a slit in her lower gum and I can just barely feel it starting to pop through if I push on it. So I bet your lo is not far from it.  :lol:
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
signs of teething??
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 00:25:57 am »
Really sounds like teething to me!  Have you tried some tylenol or something before feeding to try and help with the pain?  I also found teething pain would come and go, and it was usually easier to convinve my lo to nurse when sleepy.  If she's really not taking much from the breast, you might want to try pumping and giving some in a bottle, to maintain your supply.  But generally, just keep offering - she'll probably take it eventually. And with teething, they tend to produce more saliva which can apparently affect bm's - some kids get diarrhea!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline teezee

signs of teething??
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 04:34:19 am »
thanks for the replies!  she does nurse ALOT better when sleepy, which is probably why she is up all night wanting to eat FULL feedings the past few days  :shock:  but i think i will try pumping and giving her a bottle starting tomorrow and hopefully that will help the situation.  i don't want to get in the habit of giving her tylenol b.c who knows how long it will be before the teeth actually pop through...i do give her some in the evening b.c that's when it seems to bother her most.  maybe should i give it to her a little more often?  i mean i give it to her when her cheeks look flushed or when she's fussy...anyway...any other suggestions out there - i can use them!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Kayna

signs of teething??
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 14:17:19 pm »
On another post someone mentioned Hyland's Teething Tablets. They are 100% natural with no side effects. You can even use them at the same time you're using Tylenol.

Last night I gave dd a bath (sucked out her nose good), gave her some Tylenol and the teething tablets and she slept all night. Not sure how much was the teething tablets help but thought I'd put it out there for you.

I found mine at our local Target store.
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline teezee

signs of teething??
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 16:02:17 pm »
i wonder where i could find them in canada?? maybe i'll try at wal mart or drugstore - hopefully they are available here - i am willing to try almost anything at this point  :!:
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Kayna

signs of teething??
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 16:15:17 pm »
http://babywhisperer.com/forum/how-much-longer-vt47150.html?sid=ccf36535f2cda4b42d3b1685f6e87909

Here's a link to the other post I was referring too. There are a couple other suggestions for where to get the Teething Tablets but I bet Walmart would carry them. Target just happened to be the first place I called. Good luck.
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline teezee

signs of teething??
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2005, 16:22:54 pm »
thanks will look for them TODAY!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
signs of teething??
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 00:34:47 am »
I also know a lot of moms who swear by Camilia, which is also a natural thing for teething, if you're happier with that sort of thing. You can get it at most pharmacies in Canada (I got it at Loblaws).
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Tonya

• Showing Appreciation 252
signs of teething??
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2005, 02:15:25 am »
I use the German version of chamomile, called chamomilla, that I buy at a health food store.  It comes in pellets and you give 4 or 5 pellets at a time - and when i say pellets, I mean they aren't even the size of a pin head!!  So no worries on choking.

Something else I find really effective, is Mellaluca oil.  You have to know a dealer or order from their website, but the stuff is AMAZING for calming Nathan down when he is grumpy from teething.  He likes it so much he will now actually bring the bottle to me and ask me to take off the cap!:):):)
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline teezee

signs of teething??
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 03:28:52 am »
appreciate the input everyone!  do u happen to know the name of the website you can order it from??
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005