Author Topic: What do I fix first?  (Read 927 times)

Offline albesb

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 06, 2005, 16:46:02 pm »
My 10 week old had/has terrible colic.  So, we let him sleep in his car seat.  HE was sleeping about 5 hours then 4 hours.  I want to stop the car seat.  He isn't using it at naps (about 40 min - 1 hour).  At night, he wakes a lot with out the car seat.  Like every 40 minutes.  I try to shh/pat him and only feed him every 3 hours.  Last night I let him sleep in the car seat and he went 4 hours.  Is it better to get him sleeping longer first or just do everything at once?

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
What do I fix first?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 21:06:34 pm »
You need to stop using the car seat all the time.  Otherwise you will just prolong the misery (yours and his).  He will expect the car seat and, when he won't get it, he won't sleep well.  Then, when he does get it, he'll start expecting it again and it becomes a vicious cycle.

Before you do start the sleep training, though, I suggest you try to get some extra sleep.  When you're tired, it's very easy to decide to go back to the old ways which sort of helped for the short term - I've been there many times!!  :?  Also, try to recruit your dp in helping so that you're not too tired.  If anything, try stop using the car seat for sleep over a weekend.  Also, try the sleep training during a time period when you know you won't have to take the baby out in the car for at least 3 days.  It will really help if you let him sleep in his crib for several straight days.

Btw, do you think your baby may have reflux?  I suggest using a wedge or something to bring the crib's mattress to an incline, which may help him sleep better.

HTH
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna