Author Topic: Absolutely the worst night of my life  (Read 1089 times)

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Absolutely the worst night of my life
« on: December 06, 2005, 18:55:32 pm »
Last night was clearly the worst night of my life.  Went to put Rachel to bed at the usual time 7:15pm, and she was definitely tired.  She's had a stuffy nose off and on too but didn't seem to bother her.  And I think she's teething, we can see a little white nub on both sides where her canines should be.  She doesn't have anything teeth so far.  She wasn't running a temperature, and she'd been up since around 4:15pm.  So I put her down, and she falls asleep easily.  Great.  For 20min.  Then she's up, whining, crying I don't know what.  Keeps spitting out the pacifier, and sounds really stuffy.  So I turn the house upside down look for my bulb syringe and some saline to suck out her nose.  I do that, and now she's really upset.  Then I picked her up and got her all dozy again, laid her down and did what I usually do which is rest my hand on her arm and leg (she's on her side facing me).  Every time I moved my hand when I was sure she was resting, she'd flip onto her back and start fussing again.  This went on, and on, and on, for 2 1/2 hours!  I tried feeding her again even though she'd eaten at 7:00pm. I gave her tylenol just in case she was in pain.  Finally got her to sleep around 10pm!  She slept till almost 3am, then woke up talking to herself.  The first time she went back to sleep, the next 2 I had to go in and give her the paci and try and get her to settle back down.  Finally she got up at 6:30am!  What the heck is up??  Is this teething?  I mean my god I am a wreck.  She's not all that stuffy now, and she's taking her normal morning nap of 2 hours, although a bit earlier because she woke so early.  If this is teething, and it's going to go on and on for who know's how long, I'm going to collapse.  Has this happened to anyone else?

Offline cora n henry's mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 19:01:36 pm »
Whenever I suspect teething or illness, I give my child a dose of Tyelonol or Ibuprofen (which last longer) just before bed.  That way I can rule pain out for sure.  Ped says there's no harm offering those medications even if you're not 100% sure you're right.  Then, if the night waking still occurs, I try to be as consistent to our noormal routine as possible so as not to backslide and try to stay sane in the process. 

If it is a cold or teeth, the wakes will be drastically cut down. If it's a testing thing, then being consistent will cure it in a few days.  Good luck!
Elisabeth

Cora Elisabeth 07/08/03
Henry Peter 12/08/05

Offline Kayna

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 19:39:05 pm »
Wow, you're in my shoes right now. Poor baby girl is non-stop draining and hates getting her nose wiped. Trouble with teeth is you can never tell if it's just teeth or a cold as well. :roll: Can't wait to be back on track............
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline kirsty_167

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • My little munchkin!!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 08:30:25 am »
wow your night read just like mine.I am on this forum tonight trying to find help too as i feel like im going mad!!!! My wee man
 did exactly the same as ur baby except he went to sleep after an hour and a bit after i gave him another bottle as he had sweated so much from crying so hard (we are in new zealand so its summer here) .Id tried everything else first though,nothing worked........he normally is so good at going down but not tonight!!!! he has also been very grizzly the previous two days and had 2 nights waking at 4/5am.....i ended up feeding him  the 1st night but it totally ruined his morning feed and he didnt take a whole bottle till 2pm!! he was then not sleeping well etc etc.......instead yesterday i gave him more solids and he slept til 6.15am....i can handle that!!! I have no idea what he will do tonight now.....i feel very anxious.....which i hate feeling like...dont we all!!

i used pamol and teething gel....as i too am not sure if its teeth...he has the same hard ridges as ur baby and in the same place!! Funny as they arent the teeth that are expected to come up first!!! anyway....keep in touch maybe we can help each other out??? Pm me if u want to and i can give u my email??? id love someone else to chat to about our babies.....

thanks and good luck let me know how u are doing
kirsty :D