Author Topic: nap confusion  (Read 970 times)

Offline Teri

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 06, 2005, 22:10:55 pm »
Hi.  My 11 month old has been a very routine napper until recently.  He would take a 1.5 hour morning nap 9:30 or 10 (would wake if he slept longer to keep him on track) and a 1.5 hour PM nap around 2:30.  He now takes longer to fall asleep for his morning nap and I have started waking after 1-1.25 hours as he is fighting his afternoon nap to the point he won't even take it at times.  Should I not wake him from his morning nap in order to increase the amount of nap time, then do away with the afternoon and gradually push back to a later one nap a day???   Or just keep waking from his morning in the hopes he'll pick back up with an afternoon....I am ok with one nap a day as long as it works for him and gets him happily through the day.  I was always told the move happened after 12 months and my child has been pretty textbook until now.
Thanks!
Teri

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
nap confusion
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 23:30:45 pm »
Hi Teri,

Can't call myself an expert in this area since dd is only 7 months old, but from many of the posts I have seen, the transition to move towards 1 nap can start as early as 10 months old and kind of go back and forth for a couple of months until they finally are down to 1.  I don't want to give you any wrong advice, having just read posts and not experiencing the transtion first hand, so I am going to alert Meg's Mom of your post.  She recently went through the transition and had awesome advice.  I think she might have posted some information at the top of the forum as well.  She is off duty today but will see if she can lead you in the right direction tomorrow.

Thanks!
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
nap confusion
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 23:04:13 pm »
Hi, my textbook LO started the transition at 13mos.  If i were you i would continue to keep the am to 1hr (no more) and then fit the pm nap in.  Keep pushing that pm nap time until you reach a point where it will interfer w/ bed time.  Then you will start the 2 to 1 transition.

What time are you currently starting the pm nap?

Offline Teri

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 01:54:04 am »
Hey, we do morning around 10 and afternnon around 2:30.....though he has not taken afternoon much at all for the past week....if he falls asleep it is right when I usually go to get him up at 4 and that seems awfully close to bedtime of 7:30....I don't want to mess up his wonderful nighttime pattern.  Today I put him down at 10:30...he slept until 12:30 (first time I didn't wake him).....he got really cranky around 4 so now thinking I need to go back to trying 2 naps with keeping morning to no more than an hour?
Teri

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
nap confusion
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 01:56:21 am »
We did am nap @ 10 and pm nap @ 3pm w/ bed at 7.30 for a while  When they refuse after that, then it gets to that point then you must start the move.

There will a period where 2 naps is too much but 1 nap isn't enough - oh the fun continues.