Author Topic: 4 Breastfeeds to 3?  (Read 1193 times)

Offline KB

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 07, 2005, 04:51:49 am »
Hi all

Just wondering if I am doing the right thing.  DD is almost 8 months and has been fussing a little at the afternoon BF.  So I have experimented with dropping a feed and she has only had three feeds for about 4 days now.  New routine is:

8.00 BF
9.00 Breakfast
10.00 Nap
12.00 BF
1.30 Lunch
3.00 Nap
5.00 Wake
5.30/6.00 Dinner
6.30 Bath
7.00 BF and bed by 7.30.

The feeds are definitely better again she is taking more at each feed but I'm worried about the big gap without milk in the afternoon.  She seems happy enough.  Just wondering when everyone else dropped to three feeds?

Have other issues currently with night wakings and routine times but will post them on the other boards.

Offline Tru's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
4 Breastfeeds to 3?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 17:40:46 pm »
I'm going through the same issues.  DS is 8+ months and is not taking good feeds.  I'm wondering about doing only 3 breastfeeds a day, so he will take better feeds.  This a.m. he ate at 7 a.m. and was barely interested in eating again at noon when I tried to breastfeed.  He had a waffle around 8:30 a.m. and a few Cheerios out in the yard.

He is having nightwakings, and I think his calories are getting flip-flopped.  Sometimes he'll do two night wakings (1 big feed, 1 smaller feed) and then it seems like his daytime appetite is decreased.  BUT, last night he was up at midnight, ate a bunch and was back down until 7 a.m. when I breastfed.  So I figured he'd be ready to eat by 11 or noon.  Not so much.

I can't remember when I went to only 3 feeds with ds#1, but I'm thinking it was closer to 9 or 10 months and then he was weaned at a year.  I've also contemplated only doing breastfeeds in the morning and bedtime and doing two bottles during the day.  It's just so hard to get ds#2 to concentrate on breastfeeding and not playing, watching big brother, etc.

:)

Offline KB

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 00:35:54 am »
It seems to be a difficult time doesn't it.  I went back to four feeds yesterday as she seemed to want a feed around 4.30pm.  She had quite a good feed too.

Then she fed again at 7pm just before bed, another good feed and I think she would have slept through last night except the neighbours' dog had a huge barking fit right outside her window at 4.30am and of course it woke her and then I had to feed.

So today I will try four feeds again and hope that the dog stays quiet!!

Thanks for your reply it is good to know that others are experiencing the same thing. :)