Author Topic: Terror with naps back again!  (Read 910 times)

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • They are huge now!!!
« on: December 07, 2005, 15:42:23 pm »
Hi... my now 6 months old dd is back to 45 min naps after a whole month of enjoying 2 hours naps. Is it normal? What is the aproximate A time for her and nap time? Sometimes she wakes up at 30 min. Why is it that they are back after being able to take long naps? Whay the nightmare is back? Does it has something to do with development? Should I do Pu/pd for this issue? Please... I need some advice on how to handle them now... she only takes 45 min and then she is sleepy again after an hour so she is tired but not able to do down again... any advice please?

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Terror with naps back again!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 22:41:43 pm »
I could have written your post ---

My LO started the 45min nap at about 3 months.  I search high and low for information and found Tracy’s work, then the site.  By the time Megan was now well into 4mos and I moved dc to 4hr EASY as Tracy recommends and the short naps got a bit better.  I then used shh/pat, pu/pd (very little) and wake to sleep techniques to get dc body used to sleeping thru the 1st sleep cycle as by now it was a well ingrained habit.  We saw improvement almost immediately (although small, but it was improvement) and I was convinced Tracy’s work was a godsend. 

We worked on dc naps for 2 weeks solid and after much shh’ing and back aches we started sleeping about 1.25-1.50 for most naps.

Things were great for 2 wks after beating the 45min nap monster.  But then the monster came back.  I thought I would fall off the deep end.  What I didn’t take into consideration was that dc was older now.  So I increase dc A time by 15min and poof…the monster was gone again.  At 5mos 2.25hr of A time was the magic number for us. 

We have now been thru the 45min battle several times over, every time dc is ready to increase dc A time dc starts the short naps.  So when that happens I know it is time to adjust dc schedule or prepare to drop a nap.

Also here are the averages for 6-8 mo:
2.5 after am wake up – usually 1.5-2.0hr in length
2-3hr after end of am nap – same as above

Hope that helps!

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • They are huge now!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 22:53:39 pm »
Wow... thanks a lot! I´m starting tomorrow. So the set time: 9 and 1 and 5 naps are now gone and I should re-establish new nap times. Thanks a lot...   :lol:   I really hope that helps...

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Terror with naps back again!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 23:07:25 pm »
Good Luck, don't forget... Extend A time by 15min every 3 days.  I like to extend A time by increasing the nap wind down so that it is low key or take a walk if you can keep them awake in the stroller.

Here is what schedule you are working toward:

7am wakes up - stays awake for 2.5 hours (sometimes 3)
9:30/10am - 1st nap
11/11:30am wakes up and stays awake for 3 hours
2/2:30pm - 2nd nap
3:30/4pm wakes up

As dc doesn't wake from dc second nap until 3:30/4 that means dc can now last without a catnap until bedtime at 7/7:30pm.