Author Topic: very,very short naps  (Read 974 times)

Offline zap

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
very,very short naps
« on: December 07, 2005, 16:31:07 pm »
Hi!

Wondering if anyone can help.  My son is now 6 months old and still only takes 25-30 minute(literally to the minute) naps 4 times a day(usually naps after 1 1/2- 2 hours of being awake).  I've tried the whole teach sleep method for 8 straigth days at every naptime for an hour each time!  I read the method over several times, so I'm positive I was doing it right. It never worked at all!  The problem is the second my son wakes up he immediatley starts to babble and play in his crib(he generally has a lot of energy!!!).  He's so wide awake its impossible to put him back down.  I don't need to pat his back or anything, because he's not crying (tried it and he just laughs at me).  I'm getting completely frustrated, as I can't seem to get anything done and have no time to myself.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for another method to help my son sleep longer?
Thank you! :x

Offline MCGoldsmith

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
very,very short naps
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 16:45:17 pm »
When my ds dosen't "make it" to the 45 minute mark in a nap it is a sure-fire way to tell me that he has been over stimulated before going down for his nap. Also, I know that this will happen if he is REALLY tired going down for the nap. So I like to go ahead and put him down before he gets to that point.  Do you have a wind down routine you do w/him? Maybe this will help. ? Hope so.   :?  :)
Meredith

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
very,very short naps
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 22:45:33 pm »
Sorry you have such trouble.  I think you need to adjust his A times...they look on the short side which will definately cause the short nap.  What I suspect is happening, is that dc is catnapping the nap because of the brief awake time.. it's like "I've only been awake for a short time, so I just need a short amount of sleep". The is creating the 30-45 min nap.

I think you will find if you can keep dc awake longer the naps will lenghten. Try 15min every 3 days. I like to extend A time by increasing the nap wind down so that it is low key or take a walk if you can keep them awake. Keep dc awake for just the first cycle...if dc gets a longer nap then dc can go longer in dc A times for the next cycle of the day and so on.

General if the LO is under 3mo and short napping then decrease A time (overstimulated).  If over 4mo and short napping then increase A time (not tired enough).