Author Topic: Milk not come in due to health?  (Read 1363 times)

Offline SRLJones

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Milk not come in due to health?
« on: December 07, 2005, 18:31:59 pm »
I gave birth 1 and a half weeks ago and my milk is still not in.  The Dr. figures it is because of my post delivery hemoraging and then more loss of blood and passing of clots etc afterwards. 

Has anyone had a drug prescribed to them to help bring it in?  Does it work and are there any side effects? 

TIA!
Shawna

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 19:47:36 pm »
Is baby nursing? If not, are you pumping? How often for either?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline SRLJones

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 23:55:12 pm »
Baby is nursing and we are supplementing her.  But she is not getting enough from the breast as my milk has yet to come in.

I nurse her for about 15-20 minutes on each breast.  I have not tried pumping yet.

Offline MomtoRee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 02:07:05 am »
I was on Reglan for a long period as I have thyroid problems that went out of wack after delivery and that caused a very low supply.  I did this along with More Milk Plus and it worked wonders.  It is commonly used for mothers with premies and adoptive mothers that want to nurse. 

I also had problems with my milk coming in and used just the More Milk Plus, pumped after every nursing and in between feeds (even at night), drank gallons of water, and massaged my boobs.  My milk came in great and only had to use a little formula until my supply bottomed out. 

Good luck.
Ree November 2004

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 02:16:49 am »
Do you have access to a certified lactation consultant to help you and rent a pump from? Pumping after nursing will help your milk come in and your supply increase. Yes, there are appropriate drugs available too. You really should be working with a qualified L/C on this.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline SRLJones

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 18:13:06 pm »
My Dr prescribed motilium.  It was working a bit but not great.  Spoke with a lactation consultant this morning and she told me to up the dosage and do the pumping after each nursing, and I should notice a difference in 24 hours.

I sure hope so.

Thanks everyone!~

Offline emmasmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
Pump
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2005, 04:08:38 am »
I feel like I'm butting in but I hope you are pumping with a hospital grade pump preferrably the mammoth they call the "Classic".  Expensive to rent but it is the best and those lactina's are good but the classic should be used in your situation.  Get plenty of sleep! (I know, haha)

M I R I A M - 4 March 2003
  E M M A    - 29 June 2001