Author Topic: Asthma medicine destroying sleep for 22-mo-old  (Read 2638 times)

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Asthma medicine destroying sleep for 22-mo-old
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 02:04:15 am »
Holler anytime.  You might also get answers in the health forum.   I just happened to find this one by chance.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2005, 05:20:09 am »
Well, I've now had several more appointments with the pediatrician, an allergist, plus a consultation with a pharmacist who is a family friend. From all of these professionals, I gather that the flovent is absolutely necessary to keep the asthma under control. Wwe had a very scary incident over Thanksgiving so we're more on board with dd definitely having asthma - I was in denial previously. I am uncomfortable with the flovent, as I know it causes sleep issues but I can't get anyone to give me a valid alternative so far.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2005, 14:36:39 pm »
Have you tried Pulmicort nebulizer treatments?  It is still a steroid,  but maybe it would cause less sleep trouble.  That's the only thing that comes to mind at the moment.  Might be worth asking about.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline mattandcindy

• Showing Appreciation 18
Re: Asthma medicine destroying sleep for 22-mo-old
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2006, 00:38:15 am »
Hey Rose (Or anyone else with experience with Flovent!)
Did things ever get any better with your daughter?
Abigail was started on Flovent on Tuesday for a chronic cough that they are attributing to allergies (and possibly a slight case of asthma). Ever since then she has been sleeping TERRIBLY! She has been waking up at 6am (she usually sleeps until 7-8am) and her nap has gone to heck! Today she did about 45 minutes and for the first time ever actually crawled out of bed during her naptime!
The onlyl thing we can attribute it to is the Flovent. The doctor wasn't adament about her being on it-she is just trying things at this point to get rid of the cough. We were on Xopenex and she did great with it but it didn't seem to help her cough much.
Just wondering if anyone else has seen the sleep disturbance as a side effect of Flovent?
We are definitely thinking about stopping it to see if her sleep improves. I am not too worried about stopping it as she isn't on it for asthma or any scary breathing problems-just a chronic cough....
Cindy