Author Topic: Help figuring out what went wrong please!  (Read 942 times)

Offline KellyC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
Help figuring out what went wrong please!
« on: December 07, 2005, 21:16:09 pm »
Wow, it's busy on here today - it seems we all spend the day in the same way, trying to convince our LOs to shut their eyes and go to sleep (and stay asleep!) when they're tired!!

My day today started off very well as Zander went down for his first nap for the first time ever with no intervention, he fussed a little and went straight off to sleep and I was so proud.  I was even prouder when after going in at 35 minutes and turning him on his back to disturb his sleep cycle he slept for a full 2 hours - I actually had the chance to get showered and dressed and do the housework before he got up, what a star!!  So I knew that no matter what happened for the rest of the day I would still stay calm and chilled because we've started to make progress.  The last few days have been hell and I've been very upset and depressed that his daytime naps weren't working out.  Yesterday I was ready to pack it in and just give him his paci back, I may have done if it wasn't for him forgetting how to use it!  I remember reading that Tracy said after a week or so of sleep training things may regress (especially for boys) and then all of a sudden be good - once again I bow to her wisdom as she was right!

Yet again, I waffle.  I wondered if I posted my routine and explained what happened at the end of the day somebody may be able to suggest what went wrong?  Here goes;

E 6am
A 6.40am
S 7.15am
E 9am
A/S Went out to the shops and Zander napped in the car both ways, probably only 30-45 minutes total though.
E 12pm
A 12.15pm
S 1pm Was very overtired due to second nap being short but settled ok.  I left him too soon and had to go back and start again.  Wake to sleep didn't work (I don't think he stirred enough) and he woke at 2pm but extremely upset so obviously needed more sleep.  Got him back to sleep by 2.15pm.
E 3.30pm
A 3.55pm
S None!
E 6.30pm Struggled to get him to eat, think he was too tired.
A Bath
S Bed by about 7.15pm.  Went down no problem.

So the problem was trying to get him to catnap before bath and bed.  It was strange because he started acting tired at 4.15pm only 3/4 hour after he woke up.  I then spent over an hour trying to get him to sleep.  Eventually I put him in the travel cot downstairs looking at the mobile and he stopped crying and was completely calm for over another hour.  This makes me wonder whether he was tired at all at 4.15pm?  Do you think I let Zander have too much sleep during the rest of the day (total 4.75 hrs) so he was tired but couldn't get in any more sleep?  On the other hand maybe he wasn't tired at 4.15pm when he cried and I tried to put him down - what else could have been wrong with him?  I wonder if at 3 months he's adding something to his repetoire of crying other than hungry or tired?

So sorry this has been so long-winded but any suggestions would be gratefully received - we're getting there slowly but surely!

Kelly x

Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 22:58:37 pm »
Zandersmummy, first let me say congrats on the break thru!!  And if I spent as much time the job that paid the bills as i do here, my budget wouldn't be so tight - he, he.  But this is so much more interesting!!!!

Try not to let the short naps get you down, i have been where you are and I PROMISE they will grow out of it!!  It is not a reflection of you or what a wonderful mommy you are  :!:

To answer you question i looked out the recomm. sleep times for a 3 months old for you.
Night: 10 hours;
Day: 5 hours - 3 naps, 2 naps of 1.75 hours and 1 of 1.5 hours;
Total: 15 hours

I do believe he wasn't tired at 4.15 (3/4 hr is not tired enough).  Watch out for those yawns as sometimes they r just fooling you!!  He is approaching an age where he will do that a lot but it won't always mean he is tired so watch the clock too.  Tracy recommended changing the activitiy first to double check.

Hang in there and hope this helps.

Offline Luke-n-Me

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 02:15:21 am »
Kelly,

Just wanted to let you know that I've had the same issues with Annika over the last week (though I haven't had much luck with extending naps as you have).  Anyway-she is awake way to long at the end of the evening.  When she really needs a catnap, nothing will settle her.  We just go with it and try to get her to the end of the day.  I know it's hard to keep them up, but I really try to in order to get enough feeds in her for the day, which is becoming more difficult as she isn't wanting to eat anymore than every 4 hours already, so I'm trying to get in 5 feeds so we don't start having a night waking issue.  Nights are tough, but it will get better.  I remember having this same problem with my ds.  Hang in there!
Nancy

Luke (4-2-03)
Annika (8-30-05)

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 09:44:17 am »
Thanks guys

Having read your posts and thought about this I think the issue was two things; firstly he'd already had his full quota of sleep for the day as he sleeps 12 hours at night and had already done nearly 5 during the day.  Secondly I think he was overstimulated as before I thought he was tired we were on the floor singing songs and then 'winding down' with reading a book.  I like the idea of changing the activity to check in future and will do this.  I'm also going to try and build in quiet activity time in the evening before his catnap - maybe lay him on the floor listening to some gentle music, I may even go and start sorting dinner out whilst he's doing this!  I must fix this because he was too tired to eat before bed yesterday evening and although he took a good dreamfeed he still woke at 5am this morning and took another 40 minute feed.  Our day is all over the place as he then didn't wake until gone 8 (needs those 12 hours!) and he has to go for his immunisations this afternoon :cry:

Oh well, must go as it's almost the magic 35 minutes and I'll keep attempting to disrupt his sleep cycle even if it only works some of the time!

Thanks again
Kelly x

Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)