Author Topic: need help getting 5 mth old on a schedule...PLEASE!  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Baby Chase's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
need help getting 5 mth old on a schedule...PLEASE!
« on: December 07, 2005, 23:14:24 pm »
My five month old was on a great schedule up until he turned three months old. 
For the last two months it seems like it has all gone to the wayside and as much as I try to get us back on track...it seems like I am taking four steps backwards....

I have tried to do the EASY routine but as soon as we finish the activity he seems like he is hungry again so I feed him and then put him down to sleep.  He is only sleeping for 30-45 minutes and then gets up.  At this point he isnt hungry so we play some more then eat and then go down again.  By the end of the day we are all mixed up and all i would like to do is be able to get him back to normal napping pattern.  Back when he was three months old he napped from 9-11 in the morning and 1-3 in the afternoon with a catnap around dinnertime.  Does anybody have any suggestions?  I am having such a difficult time!
Thanks!
Tara
Mom to Chase
07/06/05

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 01:36:34 am »
Could you post a typical day as best as you can?  What does he do during A time that makes you think he is hungry again?  If he is fussy, could he just be bored with the activity?  How long are his A times?  What and how much is he eating?
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Baby Chase's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 02:10:33 am »
A typical day at best:

7 am - wake and bf
7:30 - 9:00 floor time with toys, rolling, sometimes in jolly jumper for 10 min intervals, outside for a walk, singing, dancing, watching me do things

9:30 - bf and getting ready for nap
10:00 - naptime (usually have a hard time getting him to go any sooner than this)
10:45 - he gets up
11:00 - 12:30 - pretty much the same activities as before
12:30 - bf
1:30 - nap
2:30 - he gets up
2:45 - play again on the floor, rolling
3:00 - bf
3:00 - today took him out for sleigh ride (we have lots of snow)
3:20 - 6:30 - awake and playing with dh and I and bf
6:30 - get ready for bed, bathtime etc, calm down time and music on in the nursery, sits on my lap while I rock in the chair (although tonight he nursed and fell asleep at the breast)
7:15 - sleeping and put into crib
8:30pm - df  (first time trying it out)

he wakes every two hours or so at night to bf and then gets up at 7 am in the morning and we begin again. 

Basically it has gotten to the point where he does what we do now duriing the day as we haven't any time for ourselves anymore...so if I need to get supper cooked, he is in the kitchen in his sit up chair watching me peel potatoes, or on my lap when I am on the computer.  It is very difficult getting him to nap, so I feel bad for forcing him and allow him to stay awake (which is even worse because he becomes overtired and cranky)  Is there any way to beat this whole scenario?  I feel like a failure, when all I am trying to do is get him back on track.  maybe the activities are not fun enough or different, but I thought children need repetition, or perhaps he is overstimulated, but then how do I know when to put him to sleep....I  am not one of those mothers that sees the signs, I only see the after effect when he is beyond tired. 

Your help is appreciated.
Tara
Mom to Chase
07/06/05

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 02:40:35 am »
Well, I'll offer what suggestions I can, but I had a very fussy, no napping baby myself.  My first thought for you starts in the morning.  3 hours of awake time is alot at five months.  Even at 10 months my dd is only awake for 2-2.5 hours before her first nap.  What helped me get her naps on track was to put her back down about 1.5 hours after waking for her first nap.  The logic was that she would be well rested from the night that she would sleep better for the nap.  You said that your lo won't go down sooner than 3 hours, but I wonder if at that point he's overtired and overstimulated.  After my dd got her morning nap at a decent length, it followed that her afternoon nap was better because she was better rested.  I realize that you may have trouble rearranging your bf, so maybe someone else can offer more advice.  As for the nightwakings, you should definitley post on the Night-Wakings board for help there.  I don't believe he should be waking that often to nurse at 5 months (althought I'm no expert).
I understand that the battle of getting them to nap is exhausting.  I often felt like that was all I was doing.  But you both will get through this and will be so much better off for it.  It's best to work on it now.  You need the time, and he needs the rest.
Sleepy cues to watch for are yawning, rubbing eyes, eyes looking glazed over and maybe red (my dd's get reddish underneath), and a disinterest in activity. 
I wish I could help more.  I'll continue to think on your situation and see if I can come up with anything more.  Keep me updated.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Baby Chase's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 02:44:10 am »
Thanks so much for your help on this....I will definitely give it try tomorrow and see how things go.  I will keep posting to this when anything changes.

Thanks again :)
Tara
Mom to Chase
07/06/05