Author Topic: help all naps and bedtime out the window.....desperate help  (Read 927 times)

Offline kirsty_167

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • My little munchkin!!
help all naps and bedtime out the window.....desperate help
« on: December 08, 2005, 03:31:46 am »
Can any1 help me before i get anymore depressed??

jakob is 4 months old and we had a rough start due to reflux.However since he was 8 weeks old he has been perfect going down for naps and bedtime (most days) Now he has in the last 2 weeks really lost it,especially the last few days.He wakes after 20mins in naps,if he goes to sleep at all...wont go down at bedtime and wakes early.I have tried so much and have a good routine.I have tried pat/shush...pu/pd......feeding....everything.........today he slept 30mins at 9am and refused to go back to sleep.I pat/shushed for 30 mins before it was time for his bottle.then he wouldnt sleep at lunchtime...had a 20 mins nap on the way to get older daughter from school and is now refusing to nap again...(catnap time).....he was sleeping 1 1/2 hours monring and lunchtime and a catnap at 4pm........what do i do?

is this nromal? Do they soemtimes go off track and if so will they ever go back???I have feeling maybe teething but guessing really as there is nothing else wrong that i can tell or a doctor can find.

I really am so tired and so depressed......he has totally changed in the last few days that i just dont know what to do.By the time my parnter comes home at 6pm i am a wreck!!!!! baby is grumpy and overtired.I ahve read lots on here and tried most things that i can.No results.

this was his normal routine until he changed.

6-6.30am awake
7am bottle
8.45 nap 1-2 hours
10.30-11am bottle and solids
12pm nap 2 hours
2pm bottle
4pm catnap
5.30 bath
6pm bottle and solids
7pm bedtime  (although has been falling asleep on 6pm bottle arggh)
10.30pm dreamfeed

He has never been one to stay up for longer than 1 1.2 hours when at home.he can if out but not at home.So he is sooo overtired today and hard to do anyting with.

Please any1 can u help me i really am at wits end and desperate for some support.

thank you for reading.....
kirsty

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
help all naps and bedtime out the window.....desperate help
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 20:06:05 pm »
hi Kristy,

first of all, yes, this sounds very normal (unfortunately!).  4 months is a big developmental time, and their sleeping skills seem to go out the window cause they want to practice all their new skills! 

this does just mean you have to ride it out.  if pat/shh doesn't seem to be working anymore, it's okay to start pu/pd.  it does take time for your soothing to take effect, and consistency is a big part of that.  you really want to try & avoid any accidental parenting (i.e. rocking to sleep) cause that will set you back.

the other thing i noticed on your schedule is that he seems to have a really long awake time in the morning before his first nap.  most babies that age can only go 2 hours at the most before that first nap.  it may be that he's going down too late and he's already overtired, and that throws off the rest of the day too.

HTH  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline kirsty_167

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • My little munchkin!!
routine
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 23:51:56 pm »
thanks for that reply......i am just riding it out....bad days just  seem to be more often these days and they get me down.I looked back at his schedule and yes perhaps he goes down too late in the first nap,unfortunatlythis is routine as i have an older daugher to take to school around 8.15 so his nap comes after that.he falls asleep in the car usually.I say 8.45 as that the time i get back and he is put into his cot.He actually falls asleep earlier than that in the car.This morning my parnter was home and i put jakob down at 8.30,he was totally ready by then and was out as his head hit the pillow.Next week i will aim to drop her off and be home before 8.30 (just kids arent allowed in class till .8.30 so i dont like dropping off too early)

thanks again......as for feeding well i struggle there as i dont know how much to give him.I go with what he takes but he takes a good amount and im scared hes having too much.He really has filled out since starting solids (my daughter did the same) But i guess i need to post on another forum for that question............

kirsty