Author Topic: Sleeping to long, is this okay?  (Read 1530 times)

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Sleeping to long, is this okay?
« on: December 08, 2005, 09:57:53 am »
My DD is nearly 5.5 months.  I have read some posts and all say that their lo can stay awake for 2+ hours.  I have a job keeping my DD awake.

She sleeps in total about 5-5.30hrs during the day and then sleeps for a full 11-12 hours a night. 

Is this really right? 

We did battle 45 min naps when she was younger, I sorted them out.  But she is always asleep (I think).  She fusses and whines after 1hr and I put her to bed after 1.30hr.  I am always trying to extend her awake time.

The longest she stays up is between 4.30pm till 6.30pm when I give her a bath and feed, so that she goes to sleep about 6.45pm.

Should I be worried and what age should she be staying awake for at least 2+ hrs.
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 17:26:05 pm »
What is her mood like during the day?

Chances are if she's getting 11-12 hours of sleep at night, and sleeping well during naps, she needs the sleep. While the textbook definition says that they should be up 2+ hours, and taking 2 naps of 1.5-2 hours each (with a third nap if needed of 45 mins or so), keep in mind that this is just an average. Some lo's need more, some less. If your lo regresses back to 45 min naps on a regular basis, then it's probably time to extend wake time until she can stay up longer. But as Tracy says...

If it's not broke...don't fix it ;)

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 09:02:56 am »
She is a little happy bunny when she wakes.  So I'll have to put up with it until she is awake more.   :D
Corrina
Mum to Faith

Offline lawnseed

• Lorna, mum to Iona, angel/spirited chatterbox, Eden, spirited delight and Tobias - thinking he's another angel/spirited!!
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 09:10:26 am »
enjoy it while it lasts!! my dd was the same - needed more than anyone else. she's now a year and i miss those breaks:)

Offline nicky37

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2005, 16:43:13 pm »
Hi

I have come on here for the answer to the exact same question!!

Evie has always slept alot but her sleeping pattern doesn't really seemed to have changed and I thought as she got older she should be awake more!! She too is 5.5 months, she wakes at 7ish, back to sleep at 8.30, awake at 10.30 back to sleep at 12, awake at 2 and the afternoons I try to keep her awake longer and just let her nap so that she can stay awake until bedtime at 6.30-6.45pm!

We have just started weaning so I have dropped the 10pm feed so she goes down at 6.30 and we wake her at 7am!!

I guess we should cherish it while it lasts!!
Nicky

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 08:52:12 am »
I could have written that, my schedule is wake at 7am, sleep at 8.40, wake at 10.30am sleep at 12 noon,  wake at 2pm  sleep for about an 45mins -1hr  round about 3.30- 3.40pm and then to bed between 6.30pm-7.00pm all depending on how tired she is.
Corrina
Mum to Faith

Offline nicky37

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 12:53:28 pm »
Isn't it strange!! I have today tried to keep her awake a bit more.  Instead of putting her down at 8.30am I put her in her bouncy chair as we were going to go into town for a walk, by 8.45am she looked so glazed almost drugged bless her that I thought I must put her in bed!!  Then I heard her chatting at 9.15 so I got her up and we headed into town and she stayed awake during the whole trip, we got back at 11am I fed her and she went back down at 12pm and has been asleep since!!

I have to say I do worry that she is just laying up there sucking her thumb as she does seem to enjoy her bed and her own company!! If I get her up too early she just whinges constantly!! I do find it difficult though knowing when to get her up, I tend to get her up about half hour before food which she can just about manage!!

They don't come with manuals do they!!

Nicky

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 13:52:30 pm »
No they don't Nicky   :D   As soon as my DD gets into her cot, she falls asleep within 2 mins  :shock:  I think she takes after her dad, as I spend ages falling asleep.

Nicky,  how much sleep does your DD have in the day?
Corrina
Mum to Faith

Offline nicky37

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 14:47:46 pm »
Its really difficult to know how much sleep she gets during the day because she wakes after 40-45 mins I hear her chattering for about 5 mins but then she goes off again.  She normally has 1 1/2 - 2 hours in morning, the same at lunchtime and the afternoon really varies from 45mins - 1 hour.

She has had very little today though and seems very happy...she too is an angel baby with a touch of touchy, after food she is quite happy to play and amuse herself but before food she needs constant attention and to say she is wilful is an understatement!!

What about your lo?

Nicky

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 16:18:43 pm »
Roughly the same.  I think our two DD's are exactly the same  lol.
Corrina
Mum to Faith