Author Topic: Tendernitis in wrists - HELP!  (Read 2919 times)

Offline jenni

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Tendernitis in wrists - HELP!
« on: December 08, 2005, 10:34:09 am »
Hi

I've been diagnosed with tendernitis in my wrists and told to stop doing things that aggravate it!! Only a doc with no kids could come up with that idea - but seriously, my little one is a big baby - 6 mnth old trapped in a 9 mnoth body.  she cannot sit by herself yet.

So.... any ideas of what all I can do with her - preferably not holding, lifting and moving her too much?

I'm at my wits end - cause I'm sore and tired all the time and its got nothing to do with her, and my guilt is getting too much now.  She goes in her baby bouncer every day and I let her watch some telly (B Einstein) but after that I'm stumped - even tummy time or lying on the floor kicking is difficult as it means I have to get on the floor with her - and once I'm down there, its hard to get up - seriously, try it without using your arms!  Particularly if you have to lift the little one up.

Also, any ideas on promoting sitting plaing by herself?

Can anyone help?

Jenni

Offline kyemickaj

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 12:20:59 pm »
Hi there! :)

Not sure if everyone is into this but...  I just bought a "Jolly Jumper" for my 5mth old and he loves it!  It hangs from your door frame or a hook in your ceiling and your lo can bounce around upright in it without you having to hold them.  Definately worth giving it a go!

I live in Australia so not sure if you can get them overseas at all?

Hope this helps!
Kylie
Mummy to AJ born 30/06/05

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 19:08:34 pm »
Just addressing your problem - I had this with my first and I found once I changed the positing of a few ways that I held or supported my son the pain improved (I had pain in my wrists and in my feet).  And once he was on the move on his own the pain just decreased pretty quickly and now I have no problems.  What I found specifically aggrevated the pain was: the way I changed nappies (so altered me method of doing that), the way I sat on the ground with him (completely relaxed rather than sitting on my feet or bending over), the way I breastfed him was a biggy (I altered the way I supported his head while feeding - I started using pillows etc instead of my hand coc ked at a strange angle holding his heavy head.

Can you get yourself a hipseat/sling style carryier that you can pop your lo on when in the house and you want to do things, or maybe keep a lightweight umbrella stroller in the house that you can put her in to transport her around the house?

You could set her up in her highchair with toys and you sit in front of her in a seat and play that way, or if you're in the kitchen she can be observing you and yet have you there. 

She will be strong enough soon to sit, so hopefully a few of those ideas can help ride it out.  Just be aware that you don't want to confine her too much otherwise it could hinder her learning by being on the floor and independently.

Good luck.

Offline jenni

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 10:57:45 am »
thanks for your suggestions.  I have a jolly jumper - but my dd just stands in it and gets bored - i've tried jumping in front of her, but she just laughs.  basically, she's using it as a standing aid, but not for moving - very frustrating.

I've eliminated most of the problems with lifting the lo etc - have a hip rider etc, but no real help with playing - i've had injections into the wrists which seem to help, but apparenly this is going to take time. 

my biggest problem is that she's huge for her 6 months - is 10kgs and 75cm - and GROWING!!!   I really need her to start moving on her own, but she's not really interested..... any suggestions would be great.

On top of all htis, i have SPD, so sitting with legs apart is equal agony - so I cannot sit with her between my legs to play - it's all very difficult - but as I said ot my DH, wait till she's older - I'm going to get milage then :lol:

any other ideas would be great

Offline magicbelly

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
re: tendonitis
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 05:01:02 am »
Not sure if you are still reading this but my bub is 5.5mths and i have had severe inflammation and tendonitis in my right wrist for 5 months. i believe it was from repetitive lifting using the thumbs under the armpits of the bub, a motion be are not generally use to. i am very strong from martial arts, push-ups, gym etc so i was very surprised. unfortunately only rest will heal the condition which for you and i is now chronic. i strap my wrists everyday with sports tape under the wrist joint. when not strapped i notice considerable difference. i also take fish oil and magnesium. i am going to hire an ultrasound machine on advice from my chiropractor for daily use - let you know if it helps. a hip sling is also good which you have explored.

otherwise i can only perservere.

Offline violet41

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Tendernitis in wrists - HELP!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 07:59:21 am »
I've had the same thing on both wrists for the last 4 months (Bubs is 5 1/2 months old).  Acupuncture seems to help, and definitely changing the way I support her when breastfeeding too - I always use pillows now.

For activities, I simply put her on the floor and let her play with her toys, roll over etc and don't even bother to get down on the floor with her except just occasionally.  I leave her to play by herself while I get on with chores or whatever, as long as she can see me.

Offline magicbelly

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2006, 20:47:39 pm »
I have been thinking about trying accupuncture. it is understandably induiudual but how many treatments did it take you to get results?

Offline Mommy in Moose Jaw

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 01:16:09 am »
I am an exercise therapist and work (when not on mat leave) in a physiotherapist clinic for rehabilitation of physical injuries.  I deal with wrist issues all the time and am very fit.  Despite this, I too developed some carpal tunnel symptoms following the birth of dd. Tendonitis is related and has basically the same root cause.  It is definitely related to the repetitive grip and lift of caring for lo's.  I have eliminated ALL symptoms by stretching my wrists every day.  THink prayer position to stretch underside of wrists and offering your hand for a kiss to stretch topside of wrist.  Add gentle pressure with opposite hand and hold for 30 sec, repeat 3 times.  Do throughout day until symptoms ease then maintain at least 1 time per day.  Also avoid holding your wrists out of neutral (straight, not flexed up or down) for any extended period, even look at how you sleep.  If anyone needs any more detail, feel free to PM me!

Offline violet41

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 07:50:14 am »
I do the same exercises that Mommy in Moose Jaw mentioned, and I also wear splints on my wrists.  The latter is a nuisance because it's high summer right now and my wrists get all sweaty - yuck!.

I've had about a dozen acupuncture sessions so far.  They really just help manage the pain, rather than "cuire" the condition.  So, in theory, you could have lots and lots of acupuncture for months until it goes away. 

I've also heard that cortisone shots can really help, but they aren't recommended unless the condition is pretty bad.