Author Topic: HELP! -- 3.5 month old waking every 1.5 hr. at night  (Read 1164 times)

Offline mconners

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
HELP! -- 3.5 month old waking every 1.5 hr. at night
« on: December 08, 2005, 13:26:05 pm »
I am truely frustrated and am not sure what to do, any help would be appreciated!!!!

My DS is 3.5 mon. old and has been on a good 3 hr. EASY since birth.  He has never  been a good sleeper.  Naps 45min. and wakes about 3x/night.  But the last 3 nights he's been waking every 1.5 hrs!!  Is this a growth spurt?    If it is a growth spurt should I be BF him every 2.5 hr during the day or just cluster feed in afternoon?  I was only feeding him 6x/day (7,10, 1, 4, 6:45, 11) and upped it to 7x/day (between 3&5am) 3 nights ago since he was waking up so much. Please help!!!!

Offline small1

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 13:32:56 pm »
Hi there, sorry can't offer any advice, but just wanted to say I have just been through exactly the same with my lo.  Out of the blue from waking up once like clockwork, to twice then crept up, till it was totally out of control.  Strangely we have managed now to get it back down.  In our case we thought we needed to teach him to resettle himself better as I didn't think he was hungry that often.  Also he had a bit of a cold.  Sometimes you just can't tell though.

Best of luck, hope it sorts itself out, as the lack of sleep it awful.
Ali

Offline mconners

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 14:12:30 pm »
Thanks for your message. How did you get your DS to settle himself? I have been thinking it could be the case with my DS too. Right now he is in crib in our room. I was thinking of moving him to a room in the house where we could let him cry it out a little bit. Did you let your DS cry for about 15min. before going in to settle him? I'm curious about your techniques and what worked.  I do swaddle DS but he gets his hands out very quickly.  He's very strong.

Offline seaflower

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 14:54:29 pm »
Hi mconners, I thought this was my post :D I had very similar problem with DD and got some quite useful advice... I used sh/p during the night, and the wakings did reduce. I just re-read my old post and realised she did 7 hours one night!! :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  Don't even remember it, unfortunatelly she never repeated it!

My post was '3.5mo won't sleep during the night - HELP!!!' (5 Nov, Breastfeeding forum), see if any of the replies will be any use to you...

PS I stopped swaddling her, which helped as she learned pretty quickly to control her hands. Got rid of the paci recently but haven't made any difference in her sleep. She is teeting now so sleep is back to the same mad state as before  :( At least I know she can do it!
My little princess is 2.5 :) Textbook/Angel/Spirited toddler
My little munchkin is few weeks old and doesn't understnd EASY!

Offline mconners

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 15:18:18 pm »
Thanks Seaflower.  Question about when to start pat/sh... did you wait until DD started crying, did you let her cry for 10-15min before jumping in to pat/sh?  I don't want to respond too quickly, I feel that's kind of how we got in this situation to begin with.

Offline seaflower

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 15:41:17 pm »
If she is fussing, I'd leave her to see if she settles. If she cries, I do sh/p, cant let her cry even fot 5 minutes. Mind you, DD never ever resettle herself and it always ended with screaming... so now i'd settle her at the first signs as it is harder otherwise.

I was scared of doing sh/p but it did get easier! The tought of it was harder then doing it :lol:
My little princess is 2.5 :) Textbook/Angel/Spirited toddler
My little munchkin is few weeks old and doesn't understnd EASY!

Offline mconners

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 17:05:01 pm »
It's weird because we've been doing pat/sh since DS was born for naps.  Today I just swaddled him and put pasifier at his 45 min. wake and he's back to sleep (probably tired from all the wakes at night). 

If it is a growth spurt do I go back to a 2.5 hr. EASY or just cluster feed at night?