Author Topic: Do the answers lie in putting them down to sleep AWAKE???!!  (Read 1248 times)

Offline Susie-Q

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Do the answers lie in putting them down to sleep AWAKE???!!
« on: December 14, 2005, 15:51:43 pm »
That's the feeling I'm getting and that's what I believe my problem may be.  From what I read, it seems that most night wakings and sleeping problems can eventually be rectified with some planning and patience regardless of what method you use BUT if the basic skill of putting themselves to sleep independently is not learned, then it all goes to hell in a handbasket??!!

My baby was a swing baby for 7 months and then held to sleep.  He still wakes 2x at night. 

If he could fall asleep independently then I think we could achieve anything, right??!!  Without the basic skill, I think I could be here for years with a night waker.

Diego's Mama

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 16:16:36 pm »
B
I
N
G
O
!!

Offline ChasMom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 16:21:03 pm »
I too agree that is the key (unless they're sick or in some sort of discomfort of course) but how on earth do I get there?  I've been at this for months and it's like the older my DS gets the worse he sleeps!
Right now we're having to pat/shh until he's completely asleep or else he cries the minute we walk away which I think kind of defeats the purpose
  :( .

Offline travis's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 15:42:19 pm »
You might feel that pat /shh defeats the purpose at the moment, but it's a step in the right direction, and it's definatedly a whole lot better than swinging or holding to sleep.

If I remember correctly there is some info on this website (one of the anouncements) that recomends having a wind down routine that tells baby it's time to sleep. Could be read a book in the same place, cuddle and kiss and say 'goodnight' (anything that suits you and you can do it every time).  It doesn't need to take too long I only take a couple of min.
Then pat/shhh untill he sleeps.

As the days go past continue your routine but slowwly reduce the amount of pat/shhh eventually you should be able to do it a bit then rest your hand on him and he will drift off to sleep.  Each time pat/shhh for less time. As time passes you should be able to lay him in his cot and walk away.

This will take time patience and consistancy you must practice these things and keep your target in mind. I'm sure in the end you will get there and believe me life is so much more easier when most of the time you only have to lay him down and walk away.

Anothe thing to be very aware of is not to let him get over tired as it is almost imposible to sleep train an over tired baby.  I find when Travis is over tired he is awfull to put to sleep.

Hope I was of some help and good luck :D

Wilsmon

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 16:26:06 pm »
Of all the books I have read it seems there are two things in common:
 1) consistent bedtime routine
 2) put down awake

You don't need to jump in with both feet all at once, however.  Take it as gradual as you like but keep in mind, the more gradual = less crying but also = slower to get there.  Start by putting down very drowsy, then drowsy but awake then awake.  I think you need to allow for some crying, but only as much as you can tolerate.  Then pu/pd or whatever works.  Some people find leaving but returning frequently works better than pu/pd.

I think a consistent wake up time is also very important.  Also make a big deal about getting them up (turn on lights, shout "Good Morning!", open shades etc).

A big, however, though.  I can put ds down awake at night and leave and he goes right to sleep.  However, it has not completely stopped the night wakings.  If he feels well and everything is right he will sleep through.  We just had about a week and a half of sleeping through, but the last few nights he has been waking again.  And I think for the first two to three years this is to be expected b/c they are going through so much, teething, growth spurts, milestones etc.  But like the previous post said, it is a step in the right direction.  My goal is not for sleeping through every night from now on but have the number of nights sleeping through outweigh the ones with waking.  My five year old still goes through cylces of a couple of weeks sleeping through and a week of waking up for nightmares, potty whatever.

Anyway, start slow and just keep trying to move in that direction.  Unless you want to just flat out CIO don't expect results overnight.  It may take weeks or even months. 

Jennifer