Author Topic: Ideal Nap Length?  (Read 2510 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Ideal Nap Length?
« on: December 08, 2005, 15:12:40 pm »
Hi there. Lately I've had decent success extending DD's (17 weeks, 4-hour routine) naps - usually with wake to sleep - I go in at 35 minutes and gently stroke her cheek and dart away.

However, the last two nights, she has woken up in early am (today at 4:15 am, yesterday at 5am) when she usually sleeps through the night. It may be hunger (although probably not since she was satisfied with 2 ounces) and/or may be teething. Or could she be getting too much day sleep?

I'm wondering what is the ideal nap length/amount of day sleep for a 4-month old? I know all babies are different but averages would be helpful.

Her bedtime is typically 7:30 pm (sometimes as early as 7 or as late as 7:45) and wake time usually about 6:45 - although will let her go until 7:15 if she has an early morning waking. No DF.

Do you think I should limit her first nap to 1.5 hours? And then second nap to 2 hours and catnap she only ever does 40-45 minutes? Or can/should either of the first two naps be longer?

We are basically on AEASY, which is fine. Just trying to make sure she gets enough day sleep but not too much!

Thanks.
Karen
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
Ideal Nap Length?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 15:28:11 pm »
Also, I should add that the past couple of nights when she's awoken at 4-5 AM, she seems much more awake and less hungry and takes longer to fall back asleep than when she used to have middle of night feedings. She doesn't have a pacifier (she does suck her hands and have a lovey) and wouldnt' calm down without the bottle but seemed satisifed with just two ounces. Then after I put her in I had to play her crib toy (Dreamscapes soother) through twice before she fell asleep. She was sound asleep this morning when I woke her at 7:15 am.

Is it just coincidental that she took longer naps these days? She used to often take a short first nap and longer second nap and same catnap. I started extending the first nap because she seemed cranky otherwise. Or are the night wakings likely from the teething or otherwise and not really related?

Don't want an overtired, cranky baby - but wondering if I need to find a happy medium and extend her naps a bit but not too long?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
Ideal Nap Length?
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 04:56:41 am »
Hi there,

Right now it sounds like she is doing just about right.  An average ideal amount of sleep at this age is about 15 hours total; so 12 hours at night and 2 naps of apx. 1.5 hours each and a 45 minute cat nap. 

My gut tells me that her good long naps + the early waking are coincidental.  It may have more to do with the entire day.  For instance, did she happen to go to bed a little later than usual (more towards 7:45 than 7 pm?)  It is not uncommom for lo's that go to bed a little later to have that early morning waking.  also, what was her stimulus during the day?  Was it too much or too little even?

Try looking at the entire day and think if anything else besides the long naps could have caused it.  That may help out a bit.  Also, let us know if she wakes up early tonight (I believe you said she has done it the last 2 mornings?).

I will check back with you tomorrow and if it has happened again, we will look at the enitre day and see what needs tweaking. :wink:
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
Ideal Nap Length?
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 12:51:19 pm »
Hi Andrea. It did happen again - but this time was different - she woke at 2:30 and it escalated immediately to screaming. She has been pulling on her ear lately, as well as jamming her hand always into her mouth - we're not sure if it's teething or an ear infection. Anyway, she obviously wasn't hungry - we held her and comforted her and gave her Tylenol and then tried a bit of water but she didn't want it. She calmed down with us holding her and watching her Crib soother and fell asleep about an hour later. This morning she seems OK but going right back to that ear...

Last night bedtime was 7:40 because she took longer to finish her bottle and pooped during it. But the night before it was 7:30 and the night before that, 7:20. I think we did things much the same as usual in terms of stimulation, etc. I'd be happy to post our day yesterday if you think it will help.

Thanks much!

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Long Beach, CA
Ideal Nap Length?
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 15:47:39 pm »
Hi Lana,

How are things going?  Any sign of teeth yet?  Yes, ear pulling can be a result of teethng ear infection or tiredness, so sometimes hard to decipher what they are telling us with all those options!   :roll:
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

DOB 05/20/07

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
Ideal Nap Length?
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 12:54:57 pm »
Actually, my name is Karen. My DD is Marisa Lane (I put Lana by mistake in profile, must fix that).

No full out teeth yet, but at least three buds - one that looks pretty close on the bottom. So who knows? Now the last two nights she has slept through. Been very restless at 4:30, then again at 5:15 and then woke at 6, although this morning we broke her into bed with us at 6:15 and got another 45 minutes out of her.

Does the restless every 45 minute in morning thing sound more like discomfort - possibly from teeth?

So if she sleeps say 10.5 -11 hours at night, I should let her nap length total up to make the total sleep 15 hours or so?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
Ideal Nap Length?
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 21:27:17 pm »
Thanks Stacy. We don't DF as it merely disturbs DDs sleep and makes her angry and wake more often. It really doesn't seem like hunger though.

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Long Beach, CA
Ideal Nap Length?
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 06:20:27 am »
Hi Karen,

I can't say for sure what the 45 minute early morning thing is as a lot of moms go through it and it seems to be a bit of a mystery, but many say it is due to being overtired from the previous day.

And yes, naps plus night sleep should add up to roughly 15 hours of sleep.
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

DOB 05/20/07

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
Ideal Nap Length?
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 14:29:05 pm »
Thanks again Andrea. It really must be from being overtired from previous day - we had a crazy day yesterday. Good morning and afternoon naps but then doctor appointment and tons of stimulation and no catnap. Got her into bed half hour early but still... lots of wakings and very restless!

When you total up naps and night sleep to 15 hours, do you count total time spent in bed, or only time asleep? For example, if she wakes in the middle of night and is restless for an hour or something, is that an hour less night sleep?

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Long Beach, CA
Ideal Nap Length?
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 03:49:17 am »
Hi Karen,  Sorry I just realized that you had asked another question.  Technically if your lo was up for an hour during the night, then yes, that is an hour less sleep.  Over time though when sleep improves he may have small wakings now and again for say 10-15 minutes, but you would not deduct those.
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

DOB 05/20/07