Author Topic: Things improving, BUT...  (Read 1281 times)

Offline mommyof2boys

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Things improving, BUT...
« on: December 08, 2005, 17:58:36 pm »
Well, things have improved over the last 3 days!  Graham has again started sleeping through the night--dreamfeed at 10-pm and then out till 6 or 6:30!  I bring him to bed to nurse him and then he's out for another 45 minutes or so--still tired.

Anyway, we've also made some 40-minute nap progress, but I have some questions about it.

He's been waking up quite chipper right at 40 min.--not crying but cooing and squealing, etc.  However, I know from experience that if I get him up he'll be fussing within 20 minutes.

Thus, I've been going up when he first wakes up, giving him the paci (which he goes to sleep without and goes the night without but seems to need to extend naps), and telling him its still bedtime.  He often spits it right out and continues to squeal; I'll often go through the routine 2 to 7 times before he figures it out and goes back to sleep (usually within 10 to 20 minutes).  I've tried leaving him to "squeal it out" but he got upset after about half an hour and the paci then did the trick. 

Am I going to regret this routine, or should I just appreciate the fact that he IS going back to sleep--and I can attend to my toddler and my shower!?  Is he waking up happy (but not really rested enough) b/c he's had too little wake time?  He's now going about 1 1/2 hours awake, stretch from 1/15 a week ago.

Any insights/opinions would be SO appreciated.

Has anyone else had this happen?
mommy of Graham--August 10, 2005
mommy of Bennett--January 30,2003

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
Things improving, BUT...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 05:16:55 am »
Ya for Graham and Mommy two!  I think you guys are doing awesome...I'm so happy for you!
So to answer your question, for right now I think your routine is working because you are keeping him and his little body from getting into the habit of only taking 45 mintue naps...and since it takes 20 minutes to get him back down (which is the approximate time it takes to get to the next sleep cycle), that sounds pretty normal as well.  In the long run is it the ideal situation, not really since you want him to be able to do it on his own right?  I think once he gets to about 2 hours of A time he will be ready to go past the 45 minute mark (he is about 17 weeks now right?) 

So continue to gradually stretch out his A time every few days and contine to encourage falling asleep independently at the beginning of the nap and you will be on the right track!

Let us know if you have more questions and good luck!

BTW, do you mind adding Graham's B-day to your signature to remind us how old he is?  thanks so much!
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline mommyof2boys

• Showing Appreciation 0
Things improving, BUT...
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 17:36:18 pm »
Well, I spoke too soon about the improvement.  After 3 good nights, he was up 3x again last night!  Has anyone else experienced random bad nights?

We did go out last night to pick out our Christmas tree, and he went down a bit late ... perhaps overstimulated/overtired?  He may also have been a bit warm; I've added an extra blankie around the swaddle lately cuz its been cold, but last night was warmer than expected.  His little back was sweaty when I got him up this morning.  Could this cause the waking?

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 18:53:36 pm »
Sounds like our sons are on the same schedule as far as naps are concerned.  I am trying to stretch his awake time, but so far he is still showing sleepy signs at one hour and I make it to usually 1.45 - at that point I think it is just cruel to keep him awake. :?

He is pretty good at going down with only 1 suck on his paci and very occaisionally he can go down without it.  I should work on that.

Last night was the first in well over 2 months that he only woke 1x but I know it was a fluke because last evening was sooooooo weird around here.  Stuck in the car in a snow storm for 4 hours feeding in the car then falling asleep as we arrived home only to be woken up to change and feed again.......it was just a fluke I am sure.  But I am wondering if there is something to be learned there......seems like we 'accidentally' did a wake to sleep thing at bedtime.  He does have habitual wake times.......and didn't last night.......

Anyway, interesting to read your story since it is so very similar to mine and the response from Taylor's Mommy was really encouraging.
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Long Beach, CA
Things improving, BUT...
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 15:41:01 pm »
Hi Mommy of 2 Boys;

the night wakings the other night was very possibly due to overstimulation and going to bed a wee bit later.  I notice that if we put Taylor down to bed anywhere after 7:30 90% of the time she has a 5 am waking.  Weird huh!? :roll:  Anyhow, how were the things yesterday?

Hope they're still getting better!
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

DOB 05/20/07

Offline mommyof2boys

• Showing Appreciation 0
Things improving, BUT...
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 17:47:49 pm »
Well, last night was rough again ... and yesterday was the "perfect" schedule as far as timing (though I still had to use the paci to extend the naps to 2 hours).  The only change I can think of is that we went out to a quick dinner...

Anyway, he went down at 7:15 and awoke at 8:30, 10:15, 12:30, and 1.  He also made a big screech at 5:40, but went back to sleep immediately.

I ended up nursing him the first two times; he went back to sleep on his own after 5 minutes of fussy-crying the last two times.

I guess the fact that he resettled himself those last times is good, but we're still waking up ... and I can't figure out why he is.  The times aren't consistent from day to day, so he's not "stuck."  He was REALLY upset at the 8:30 wakeup and didn't calm down till I put him tummy down on my knees--perhaps a tummy ache?  His older brother is a bit sick, but not with tummy troubles.

Anyway, I'm awfully tired and a bit at a loss.  And if it's a tummy ache, why is he fine when he's awake??

Could we be teething this early--4 months today?  I don't see any tooth eruptions, but who knows...????

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Long Beach, CA
Things improving, BUT...
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 18:00:08 pm »
Not to put you off at all because I am more than happy to help, but with regards to the night wakings you might want to check in with the night wakings forum to get some insight.  Those ladies are great.
But I did want to comment on one thing you said:
I guess the fact that he resettled himself those last times is good, but we're still waking up ... and I can't figure out why he is.

The goal is not to get them to ever wake up at night.  It is completely natural for them to wake up several times at night, just like we as adults do.  The goal is to get them to settle on their own back to sleep and not need you to come in there every time.  So the fact that he DID go back on his own those 2 times is Terrific! :)   

And like I said, if this contineus and you are really concerned, check out the night wakings forum...but I do think you guys are on the right track.
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

DOB 05/20/07

Offline mommyof2boys

• Showing Appreciation 0
Things improving, BUT...
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 19:09:55 pm »
Thank you for the pointer to night waking.  I had posted a question there about this but no one ever responded, and since I originally felt it might be due to the paci use for nap extension, I tried here.

Thanks for your insight.  And you're right--I should be thankful that he's putting himself back to sleep, at least occasionally!

BTW, how do I add Graham's b-day to my posts?

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Long Beach, CA
Things improving, BUT...
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 19:36:41 pm »
when you log in at the very top of the page you will see headings that say FAQ, Search, Memberlist, etc...you will see one that says Profile.  Click on that and in your signature you can put your name, Graham's DOB and any other info. you want to add.

good luck!
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

DOB 05/20/07