Author Topic: schedule changes  (Read 1294 times)

Offline nicabery

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
schedule changes
« on: December 09, 2005, 01:45:46 am »
Our DS, Jonah is 8 weeks and has been doing really well on EASY until this week when things have all gone haywire and I'm not really sleep deprived. He's increased his need to feed from every 3 hours to 2-2.5 during the day ad cluster feeding at 6 and 8 or thereabouts. My husband was doing the DF at 12am and previously he would wake at about 3am and then at 6. Last weekend he slept until 4am 2 nights in a row. My husband was finding the late DF exhausting so we've moved it to 10.30pm or 11 and he's up at 2, 4, 6 and 7.
HELP I'm tired, an emotional wreck and longing for some help.

Offline Matka

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 46
  • "Brother's don't shake hands, brother's gotta hug!
schedule changes
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 23:41:29 pm »
I'm not an expert, but it sounds like a growth spurt to me.  That was about the same age my ds had one.  Have you tried increasing his food intake?  If he'll take more, he might get full and sleep longer for you.  I gave ds 2 extra oz the first time to fill him up and satisfy him, then next feeding he only wanted 1 oz. more.  Believe it or not, I think at 8 weeks he was starting to take 6.5-7 ounces every 3.5-4 hours!  Of course, we have a giant boy and he was a good eater from the get go.  This worked for us. 

(((BIG HUGS))) for you and dh.  No one ever prepares you for how tired you'll be.  It just makes every little thing seem 10 times bigger and harder than it is.  You'll make it, I promise.  Glad you have a wonderful husband who helps out!

Good luck!
Kathy-Ann
Wife to Big Dude, Mom to Clara the one-eyed Cat, Sean Henry, and Mark Daniel
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1046198.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1150719.png[/img]

Offline nicabery

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
scheduling changes
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 03:57:50 am »
Thank you so much for replying. I think you were right as things got much better on Thursday night. I've got him back on a tight EASY schedule and he seems to be responding really well.
Nic

Offline Matka

• Showing Appreciation 46
  • "Brother's don't shake hands, brother's gotta hug!
schedule changes
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 00:34:25 am »
I'm glad to hear things are going better!
Kathy-Ann
Wife to Big Dude, Mom to Clara the one-eyed Cat, Sean Henry, and Mark Daniel
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1046198.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1150719.png[/img]

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
schedule changes
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 18:17:03 pm »
Hi!  We live in Fall City (east of Issaquah).  Your DS is a week older than my DD.  This may get kind of long, but your a neighbor and our kids are so close in age...

I agree with growth spurt.  They are supposed to have one around 6 weeks.  Myabe Jonah is getting it now.

Are you breastfeeding?  If bottles, how much is Jonah taking at each feed and what is his daily total.  My DD takes 3.5 - 4 ounces at each feed (less for the CFs) and can have a daily total of 20-25 ounces.  We really try to get her to eat during the day and sometimes it can take 45 minutes or more.  If he's getting enough during the day, he may not be waking because of hunger (my LO usually eats about 18-20 ounces by bedtime).
Does he take a full feed or just "top off"?  If it's a smaller feed, you may try offering a paci and see if he goes back to sleep until the next wake.  At the next wake, he'll probably be hungry and take a full feed.  We do this with our little Katie who sometimes wakes at 2am and 5am.  The 5am wake-up is when she's hungry.  Not sure what 2am is, but with the paci, she'll usually go back to sleep.

Also, some other things that we use are white noise (actually rain sounds, but some have been successful with a radio turned to static), a nice tight swaddle (I can pass along a technique that keeps our Houdini snugly bound all night if you like), a dark room and a nighttime routine.

Also, how are his naps?  We've found that problems with daytime sleep (too many errands, etc.) can really mess up the night.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt