Author Topic: what do you do/play together with your lo?  (Read 1444 times)

Offline zelda

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
what do you do/play together with your lo?
« on: December 09, 2005, 12:49:31 pm »
my lo (8mo) is very independent.  i can put him down with some toys and he will play by himself forever.  but i also want to play with him, even though he  doesn't show a lot of interest in playing with me.  rather, not much i do is holding his interest.  i'm looking for some new ideas.

right now: i read to him, build block towers for him to knock over, and bring him to look at our cats and practise petting them.  what do you do together with your baby, how do you play together?

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 22:41:40 pm »
olivia is extremely independent and right now just likes to explore by herslef or play with/near her big sister or go in the garden (plays on the swing or grass) but there are a few things we do TOGETHER

:arrow: musical instruments - for example i have/shake a maracas and she has one (and older sib plays something else - we have a big collection) etc
 :arrow: sing nursery rhymes to her (loves twinkle twinkle and itsy bitsy spider with me doing actions)
 :arrow:  give her stuffed animal toys and i interact by telling her what they are and making the animal sounds and some of them i do the baby sign for
 :arrow: pointing out things in textured books - she does not like to be read to on our laps so i give her a book to look at and join in where she will let me - or i read to her while she plays and when she is interested she will look at what i am showing her
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 06:33:56 am »
Some things we have started to do which are actually very similar to Deb:

Reading and talking about the pictures in books (which is pretty limited on how long she'll let me do this)
We have a xylophone that she likes to bash the keys on (it's one with the xylophone bars at the top and push keys at the bottom) - it's bright coloured, so I'll start to talk about colours soon
Songs with actions that I move her arms to (wheel's on the bus, this little piggy, twinkle twinkle)
We chase her brother around the house and play peek-a-boo with him
Animal noises

HTH

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 09:16:33 am »
Nikki i think you have been spying on me in my house - i forgot to mention the xylephone toy (we haver the little tikes tiger one) and we have endless peek a boo games  :lol:
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline zelda

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 19:03:07 pm »
that's a good idea with the xylophone, he loves making noise.  will also be doing some animal noises soon - we have one of those big cubes where every side shows a different animal.