Author Topic: How do you wake to sleep?  (Read 1084 times)

Offline KellyC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
How do you wake to sleep?
« on: December 09, 2005, 14:29:22 pm »
Hi

I was wondering how you all go about 'wake to sleep' to extend your LOs naps and what success you've had with your chosen method. 

I have tried patting from 30 minutes until my DS is back in a deep sleep and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  I've also tried going in and disturbing him a little after 35 minutes and then leaving (as suggested for habitual night wakings in Tracy's book) and this also works sometimes but not others. 

I think if the first option worked more consistently I'd be happy to sit by Zander's crib each naptime (I have to wait for him to go to sleep then wait another 20 minutes if he's needed help with pat/shush then go back just 10 minutes later and pat for another half hour or more only for him to wake up early anyway!)  I know a couple of people on here have had success with the second option but I was wondering why it's not something Tracy suggested?  In her book she says our LOs start to come out of their deep sleep at about 30 minutes and I've wondered sometimes whether going in after 35 and disrupting him actually makes him wake up quicker!

On a positive note I've had some successes today.  I was able to extend Zander's first nap using pat/shush and he slept for just over 2 hours.  His second nap he was much more fitful but I managed to keep him in the crib for about an hour and 50.  He's just gone down for his 3rd nap all by himself (I think I'm sussing out his mantra cry - I had to go to answer the door yesterday and left him crying in his crib and when I got back he was asleep so I'm holding back and counting to 20 before I step in and alot of the time he calms and starts to settle but I hate to hear it!).  Whatever else happens for the rest of the day I will stay positive because it's been good so far (even if he wakes up after 20 minutes, lol!).  I'm going to have so much more patience at work when I finally have to go back!

I look forward to hearing your responses.

Kelly x

P.S.  How do you add pictures of your LOs under your user names?

Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 02:46:08 am »
Hi, stay postive...i am just bumping this back to the first page for you :-)

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 13:47:43 pm »
Hi

Me again - thanks Meg's mom!

This seems like a very strange thing to say but here goes ...

Once I went in and disturbed Zander a little at 35 minutes and it worked - he slept over 2 hours and I had to wake him.  But it never worked again, until yesterday!  I was trying to figure out what was different and remembered that first time Zander's arms had become unswaddled and he had a little stretch when I went in.  So yesterday I left one arm out of the swaddle and it worked again - and again this morning!  Has anybody had any success with this technique when their LO is swaddled or is this just a coincidence?!  I also realised I was going in too late as I was waiting until I thought he was properly asleep and counting 35 minutes - now I start counting as soon as his eyes are shut and he's relaxed.  We're getting there - slowly but surely!

Kelly x

Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)