Author Topic: sacmommy  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: December 09, 2005, 19:41:16 pm »
I just read your response to one of my posts about my 19 month old skipping naps.  I then found your post about your child missing her nap at 19 months old.  I wrote to you in that post.  I wanted to ask you what does your routine look like?  Wake up, eating times, nap, and bedtime?

Thanks!
Jackie

P.S. It so helps to know that there are similar NON SLEEPERS like my daughter out there  :roll:

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
sacmommy
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 04:30:41 am »
Hi Jackie, I know what you mean about being reassuring to know there are other kids out there with similar issues!! I've been dealing with the nap difficulties since my dd was 10 mo (ever since she could stand up in the crib) and it's so frustrating. You know she's tired but then she just gets excited. My only saving grace is that she is always happy - thank goodness!!

I DO have to say her naps have improved - but now that she has been diagnosed with asthma and is on medication, we're having problems again.

Our routine is as follows:
Wake: 5:30-6:30
Breakfast: 7:30 (doesn't really eat)
Milk: 8:00
Snack: 9 or 10 (basically snacks all morning b/c no breakfast)
Lunch: 11 or 11:30
Nap: 11:30 or 12:30 (if she naps, we usually have to wake her these days b/c she's so tired, after about 2 1/2 hrs)
Snack: 3:30
Dinner: 5:30 or 6
Bath: 6:30 or 7
Bedtime: 6:45 or 7:15

Based on recent posts and her early wake up times I've been experimenting with putting her down earlier at night. Before, I really always put her down at 7:15 but often I think that's late. I'm currently experimenting with an earlier bedtime but it's tough as I also have a 4-yr-old to coordinate around, not to mention activities that go later, etc.!

Please feel free to ask me any questions; as I mentioned before, these 2 seem to be fairly similar to me!
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 18:14:29 pm »
I am having such a hard time with naps.  It seems she just wants to play.  I got her down two days in a row by going in there and telling her its bedtime and not play time and now today it's not working.  I've been putting her in at 1:00 but I really want her ASLEEP by 1:00 so she can wake up at 3:00 the latest, so now I think her nap time is going be 12:30 no matter what time she wakes up.  And at 1:00 I'll go in to yell at her and see if it helps.  I heard from so many people that this is a phase that they go through....I hope it's quick but I hear it's not.  We are going on two weeks of this and I'm tired! 

If I don't go in at all, then she definitely won't nap.  And that's just a disaster waiting to happen!

Our new schedule is going to be:

6-7 a.m. wake up (sometimes 7:30)
8:00 breakfast
11:30 lunch
12:30 nap
2:30 wake up
3:00 snack
5:30 dinner
6:00 bath
7:30 bedtime

i'm thinking 5-6 hours wake time in the morning should be enough with 5 in the afternoon.  I HOPE!

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
sacmommy
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 22:16:09 pm »
I'm in the same boat as you. I laughed when I read "go in and yell at her at 1". I was so frustrated today as she's playing in her crib. My mom happened to be here, so she goes in and my dd promptly goes to sleep. It's frustrating b/c I see it's a game. The hardest part is you know they're tired but they somehow manage to resist it! I'd put her to bed NO LATER than 12:30, probably even a bit earlier. I aim for about 11:45, it's just too hard to get her in bed that early some days.
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 02:19:30 am »
Your right...it is a game.  I don't know if I'm doing the right thing or not by going in there.  I don't pat/shh or anything like that anymore, which I used to do.  Now I feel she's old enough to understand "go to sleep"  but I know it's a game.  But the thing is it is working right now and if I don't do it, I know she either won't go to sleep or will go to sleep at like 2 p.m. which is then too late because of bedtime!  It's so tough.  I hope they both outgrow this soon!

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 18:01:14 pm »
I just have to share my excitement!  Today I put Carmela in for a nap at 12:25 and at 12:53 she fell asleep ALL on her own!  I didn't have to go in one time!  I am so happy!  I decided yesterday 12:30 is nap time and 1:00 I'll go in and yell at her (since talking nice doesn't work) but I didn't have to!!!!!!!!!  Now I hope it's a long nap