Author Topic: feeling housebound due to naps..how can u go out???  (Read 6473 times)

Offline KellyC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
feeling housebound due to naps..how can u go out???
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 13:57:43 pm »
Hi guys

Stacy - let us know how you get on with your sling, it may work!  Zander actually falls asleep fairly easily in his sling which is outward facing (strange as there's so much to see!) so I use that when we're out and also his pram - if he won't sleep in his pram I take him out and put him in the sling and use the pram for my shopping!!

I actually managed to get out the house this morning and went to a toddler play centre with my mum, sister and nephew.  I was dreading it as knew it would be VERY noisy, and it was!  Zander had a nap of 1hr 10mins this morning and we went straight up mum's where he had his feed.  He then slept for about 10 minutes in the car and stayed awake the whole time we were there - he got grizzly and I was trying to calm him but mum said shall I take him for a walk and jiggle him for a bit (I didn't say anything but obviously was thinking 'no, we don't jiggle him!').  Anyway, he calmed down - he didn't sleep but he wasn't crying and he was even smiling.  I knew he was very tired still but he slept for 20 minutes in the car on the way home and then stayed up until about half an hour after his next feed.  He was a little more difficult to get down for his next nap but not too bad and he's been there for just over 50 minutes now (I went in and turned him slightly at 35 minutes and his eyes pinged open but he went straight back to sleep) so fingers crossed!  I think if I'm going to go out some days this is how I'll do it - let him have his first nap at home, then go out and know he'll only nap a little, then be back for his third nap which may be a little more of a struggle as a result.  We have to compromise sometimes so we're all happy!

Kelly x

Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
feeling housebound due to naps..how can u go out???
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 20:46:30 pm »
Hello, you've had some great advice already, so I won't go into chapter & verse, but I just wanted to say that you sound like you are doing a great job. Getting him to nap well at home is a great start.

But, there is no point sacrificing yourself, and your happiness, for perfect naps every day. It's been said before, but what your baby needs is a happy Mum, not a miserable one, so do what you gotta do! If you feel like you need to get out of the house, you really should go. Is there a nap that is more needed than another? I know my lo would be HIDEOUS without his morning nap, so I always stay in for that, but then I can go out afterwards, and, if he gets cranky, so be it. As long as you don't do this every day, it shouldn't mess up your routine too much, and it's worth it for your sanity. The great thing about following BW methods is that, if lo does get a bit cranky and tired, he knows you are there for him, you won't leave him to be upset, and we have the tools in our kit to be able to deal with it, so it's much less stressful for lo than it could be.

BTW, as long as you have your naptime routine pretty much established, I liked the idea of getting him to practice sleeping in the pram at home. Has anyone tried this? I might try it myself b/c I have similar issues, although I must stress, it does get easier as they get older.
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline kirsty_167

• Showing Appreciation 45
  • My little munchkin!!
thank you
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2005, 22:40:19 pm »
Wow..thanka so much to all of you for those inspiring responses.I really appreciate the help and giudance.As it is Jakob has now thrown all his nap routines out the window and i dont know why.he is doing the whole waking after 45 mins from his morning nap....nothing gets him back to sleep.So today i decided well so be it and after a big effort of trying to get him back to sleep,i got him up and went from there.We went out for 30 mins to pass time to his next feed.The only issue here is he thenwent to bed at 11.15am instead of 12pm....but i think if i stress less about the time he goes down then he will be ok.Maybe soemdays he only needs 45 mins in the first nap as he has slept all night.The last few days have made me stay home more becuase he has not slept well in the day.However im not going to panic about going out now.If he sleeps he sleeps and if doesnt well we will deal with it.Its hard and stressful but im sure we will get there eventually.

Thanks again to all of you and i welcome anymore feedback........
kirsty