Author Topic: sleep/fussy/eating problems  (Read 1093 times)

Offline kezzi78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
sleep/fussy/eating problems
« on: December 09, 2005, 20:47:29 pm »
:cry:
please help i breastfeed my little one who is 12 weeks and five days, she is a spirited/textbook baby. Right on cue at the beginning of the week she went through a growth spurt eating every two hours, waking twice in the night instead of once, which disrupted the 3 hour EASY i had her on.

however things have changed now, she wants to sleep alot more instead of 45 mins wanting 1-2 hours three or four times a day. Even though she has good naps during the day and we have pulled forward her bedtime routine from 7.00am to 6.30am by the time we have finished dressing her after her bath she is screaming the house down and then passes out when we put her in the crib. Is this normal ????

Our other problem is she is now fussing at the breast, arching her back away from the boob and screaming. She does however feed well in her sleep but this is not ideal. I am working on trying to move into a 4 hour EASY to see if this will help...

any suggestions on either would be gratefully received.......
Amelie Grace's mum

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
sleep/fussy/eating problems
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 18:28:31 pm »
Yes, she sounds about normal for the age. So textbook, you're lucky!  :wink:

Longer naps and fussy feeding are a great sign that she is ready to go to a little bit longer EASY cycle. You will also run into fussy feeding in that she will be more interested in looking around than eating and her feeds may decrease to only 5-15 min per feed. She is much more efficient now, and may appreciate a quiet place to eat when possible.

She may also be extra tired from the growth spurt, they often tend to "sleep it off". Give her a few days and write down her schedule to see if a new pattern is emerging.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline JLynn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 03:17:00 am »
Kezia - my daughter went through exactly what you're describing last week.  For a couple of days she wanted to be fed every two hours and she started having longer naps.

She seems to be back to "normal" this week although still a bit fussy at the breast. 

What is this EASY cycle that you mentioned though?
Jen
Mommy to Sarah - 9/11/05
Wife to Shawn - 6/6/98

Offline fleadle

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 20:41:11 pm »
This is EXACTLY what my dd did, she was screaming like we were hurting her....it terrified me the first time she did it!!

What we did (Althought I don't know if this would intefere with your EASY) was to slip in another small nap at around 6pm, then wake her up after 30 mins, have a quick play then bath & bed.

She now enjoys bath time rather than screaming through it.

As for the arching when feeding DD has done this & still does this when she is overtired, I find that standing & feeding her whilst rocking from side to side works well rather than sitting down with her.