Author Topic: Help with catnap please  (Read 1002 times)

Offline KellyC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
Help with catnap please
« on: December 09, 2005, 20:50:17 pm »
Hi

For the last 2 days I haven't been able to get Zander to take his catnap.  Today was an otherwise perfect day as I somehow managed to get him to take 3 x 1.5-2 hour naps but when he got tired at catnap time he just couldn't get off to sleep.  I know he was tired as he was burrowing and trying to go to sleep but he kept jolting awake.  I did pat/shush / PU/PD for 40 minutes then took him out of the room for a break (as per Tracy's sleep interview) but when I got downstairs with him he was happy as larry just to lie in the travel cot looking at his cot mobile and cooing to himself.  He stayed awake and happy all evening and just started to get tired and upset as he was being put to bed.  Yesterday he did a similar thing with his catnap but I thought because we'd had 3 good naps today it would be different.  Any suggestions?

Thanks
Kelly x

Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
Help with catnap please
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 15:34:54 pm »
Hi Kelly,

Yes the darned catnap!  Some days they'll take it and some days they'll fight it.  BTW, congrats on your great nap day the other day!
I don't know if you have read this yet, but the catnap is a freebie.  So what that means is that if you are having trouble putting him down for it in his cot, try a walk in the stroller or hold him in your arms, or go for a car ride.  Just about anything you can do to help him get a little extra sleep to make it for bedtime. 
If you still are having trouble getting him down, then what you did the other day was great.  Just keep things really mellow and very light activity as to not overstimulate him.

HTH!
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
Help with catnap please
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 21:09:37 pm »
Thanks so much for your reply Andrea.  I had read that the catnap is a freebie but unfortunately Zander won't sleep in my arms (I guess this is my own doing following BW from the start!) and it's dark (and cold!) here by early evening now so no chance of a nice long walk which would certainly do the trick!  Still it's good to know I'm not the only one that struggles with the catnap.

That great nap day seems so long ago now, today was the worst day ever....!

Kelly x

Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)