Author Topic: Rubbing hands all over face  (Read 1931 times)

Offline littlegrasshopper

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 09, 2005, 22:09:16 pm »
Why would my 7week old be doing this? Seems like he does it everytime he's sleeping now, in almost a frantic way.  I do notice he's also trying to suckle his hands. I've tried unsuccessfully to get him to take a paci. I'm using the swaddle so that's helping and when he's doing this.. he usually passes right out when I do it but if he gets his arms out... it's back to rubbing them all over again???? Other times... he freaks when I keep his hands in and cries. If I finally let them out... he might fall asleep with them on his face?????

Offline ambersmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
  • Juilet - Manchester England
Rubbing hands all over face
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 10:35:32 am »
Hi there littlegrasshopper,
                                    My dd went thruogh a phase of doing this too, (still does if she is overtired). I think rubbing eyes when tired is normal, maybe your lo wants to eye rub but at 7weeks doesn't have the co-ordination to do so, so his hands are all over his face. Swaddling seems like a good plan. Does he do it when overtired or just always?

If Amber was keeping herself awake with the rubbing I would gently hold her hands and do sh/pat till she was asleep then very gently let go (one finger at a time) but keep sh/pat till she was really asleep.

Like everything I've worried about to do with her it was a phase and she grew out of it, maybe your lo will too.

HTH
I'd love to know how you get on

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 15:39:12 pm »
Juliet has given you some great advice so far, so just wanted to add a couple things:

if he likes his hands by his face there is a version of the Aussie swaddle where you can do this.  Instructions are at the top of this forum.

also, depending on the weather where you are, his skin might be a little dry & itchy.  i've found that putting lotion on my babies after bathtime (or at least before bed if we're skipping the bath) helps too.
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 15:58:48 pm »
we have been trying to ween dd from her swaddle this week seeing is she is now 6 months and at first it was going wonderfully and she seemed happier to go to sleep, now she keeps waking herself up by poking her eyes out  :?  :?  and she is not overtired as i have been putting her down when she first yawns!  so maybe i will try the aussie swaddle also and do it a little more gradual.
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 16:30:10 pm »
Maybe this is his way of soothing himself?  I just keep DD's hands clean so she can't give herself pink eye.  Not so good on keeping her nails trimmed since they grow so fast.  I guess I would not worry about him doing this at this point.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline teezee

• Showing Appreciation 157
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 04:58:12 am »
gotta say that i used the aussie swaddle today and tonight and it works awesome!!!!!!!!!!! :D  :D  :D
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005