Author Topic: Homeopathy as a last resource to get this kid to sleep!!!  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Costarican mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 15
Homeopathy as a last resource to get this kid to sleep!!!
« on: December 10, 2005, 21:20:51 pm »
Hey guys.... You are all probably sick of me and my whining about not getting a full night's rest.... I just have about had it... I am falling asleep while driving!!!!!!!!  If it were not for my guardian angel, I sh@t you not, I would have already been in quite a few car crashes 'cause I'm so freaking tired!!
Anyways, I got a call from a friend, who has a friend with my problem... long story short, I have an appointment this coming Wednesday to get Julian homeopathy so we can get him to sleep.  I have lots of questions for the doc that day, but she sounded pretty confident she could help us out when I spoke to her on the phone.  Just yesterday I read an article on Parents magazine about natural remedies...they state that homeopathy is safe for kids...so what do u guys think?
Two weeks ago my doc prescribed this antihistaminic to get him to sleep...it's not working!!!!!!!  This child is like the Energizer bunny.
So again..what do u thing about homeopathy?  Any personal experiences? Have u heard anything about it?

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 21:27:07 pm »
I have used homeopathy on both of my kids right from newborn and had great results in a variety of things (eczema, teething, fevers, digestion etc).  Unfortunately it hasn't dealt with our sleep issues.  :?  Good luck and keep us posted.

I have heard of those antihistamines (when used as a sleeping aid)actually having the opposite effect on some kids (was it Phenergan?) - especially if they are the restless type anyway.

Offline Costarican mom

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 21:59:35 pm »
I guess I'm mostly worried that homeopathy can hurt him somehow.... When I consulted my doc he said he was totally against it...but from our conversation, I later realized he was worried about a Mom giving her child that instead of traditional medicines, when an illness is involved.... I didn't even mention it as a sleeping aid when I spoke to him.  Anyhow, most doctors will dismiss non-traditional medication... so I'm not surprised.
In any case, the medication I have been giving him is called Atarax and although it has reduced the night wakings a bit, let's say, from 3-4 times a night, to two at the least...I don't feel it's worth it to have him take it for those results.  Like I said, I will give this a shot... plus, I must do it without my husband finding out, which might sound horrible, but to him there is no problem and I've tried one too many times to explain to him that this is not normal behavior in a child.
Hope it works!

Offline {{{Angela}}}

• Showing Appreciation 12
    • pillowhead designs - hand embroidered goodies
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 01:05:33 am »
We use a homeopathic remedy called Camilia for teething, but I've given it to DS when we thought he was teething (but really wasn't), and it calms him down and helps him sleep.  Our doctor said most homeopathic remedies are okay, just be aware of giving adult remedies to a child. :)
Angela
mommy to Xavier and Zinnia

hand embroidered goodness at http://pillowhead.etsy.com

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 01:33:46 am »
Actually if you're seeing a homeopath, all remedies are safe for everyone - they're broken down into several groups based on whether it's constitutional (only a homeopath should prescribe these types) and acute (such as the Chamomilla - I have a little kit of remedies that I give my kids for first aid type things).  Homeopaths will also work with remedies that are more potent (actually weaker), so not generally for the home user.  It is hard to get your head around because potency of a remedy isn't in the same sense of prescription drugs where an adult would have a higher dose to a child.

HTH

Offline Costarican mom

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 13:11:48 pm »
Thanks for your replies...we'll see how it goes..I'll keep u guys posted.

Offline TaylorsDad

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Re: Homeopathy as a last resource to get this kid to sleep!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 10:18:31 am »
Hi...  I guess this thread is long gone now but how did Costarican Mom get on and what was prescribed ??

We are close to a result with out any form of medication    (sleep about 9pm after he has fallen asleep at his bedroom door and waking at about 4-5am, no daytime naps).

The night is almost manageable but the lack of daytime naps is killing my wife who is looking after our 9 wk old baby on v.little sleep.

I was/am skeptical about Homeopathy but we have spoken with a homeopath and will probably be giving it ago in a few weeks if his tired tantrums continue.

any good web sites / resources on Homeopathy for kids and first aid etc would be gratefully recieved.

Tim