Author Topic: Getting baby out of sleeping in swing  (Read 898 times)

Offline nicoladoherty

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Getting baby out of sleeping in swing
« on: December 11, 2005, 00:06:59 am »
Hi,
I have a three month old that will only nap in his swing! Not that I am complaining b/c when he had colic he wouldn't even nap!!  Now that the colic has finally left, and he has become a delightful little boy, we'd like to get him to sleep in his basinette or crib for naps and at night (he's also a co-sleeper it was easier when he was screaming into the night for us to get back to bed and have him so close).

Now that his demons are gone, can anyone give any advise on getting the little lad out of his swing? I hear that they grow out of sleeping in them, but right now I'm sitting at the other side of the house with all the lights out and curtains drawn in the living rooom so he will sleep.

thanks, :D

Offline Maddy's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
    • The Family Website
Getting baby out of sleeping in swing
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 00:48:19 am »
Hi there,

I think the first step would be to make his crib feel more like his swing - so elevating it at the head end would help with this and then making him feel more snug like he does in the swing - we used to use rolled up towels down either side of Mads crib and then put the fitted sheet over the top to keep them in place and put her half way down her crib so that her feet were at the foot of the crib - which is what they recommend in the UK to reduce the risk of SIDS.

I would also recommend reading up on pat/shush so that you are able to soothe him and help him get to sleep independently. There is a great sticky on this at the top of the forum.

Good luck
Dee
x