Author Topic: Anyone done wake-to-sleep with 14 month old?  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Anyone done wake-to-sleep with 14 month old?
« on: December 11, 2005, 14:36:11 pm »
Dd's 14 months old and for the past week or so, she's been waking at about 4:30am, crying.  DH or I will go in, pick her up briefly (she doesn't stand, but sits there, flailing her arms), saying "it's ok", pat her back until she stops crying (usually about 30 sec to 1 min, no more than 2 min), put her down, pull up her blanket, pat her hair and say "good night, sweetie" and leave.  She usually stays quiet or talks a tiny bit, but this only lasts from 5 - 30 min (more often about 10 min).  So we end up doing it over and over until 6 am, when I'll nurse her and get her up.

We don't go in for talking or a mantra cry, but wait for an all-out cry.  She has 2 naps a day: 30-45 min at about 9am, and 1.5-2 hrs at around 1pm or so.  Bed between 7 and 7:30pm.  She eats well, is nursed twice a day (morning and before bed), goes down awake for all sleeps (never used a paci and doesn't suck her thumb).  For the past month or so, we've not fed her overnight at all (she had been nursing), and she rarely wakes now until the 4:30 cry - or if she does, she's easily re-settled the same way.

DH has just said he'd be willing to try wake-to-sleep (and I want to jump on this while the jumping is good!!).  But I want to make sure I'll do it right for her age.  Anyone had success with a toddler?

So the plan is: go in at 3:30am and jostle her slightly awake (does she have to open her eyes or what?), then pat her tummy firmly, and leave - like we do at the start of sleeps? Do this at least 3 nights in a row. 

What happens if we do this and she cries when we leave? I'm SO nervous that this will just get her started an hour earlier... It's really hard working all day after being up since 4:30, I'll tell you!!  Any comments or suggestions, please and thanks!!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Anyone done wake-to-sleep with 14 month old?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 04:15:28 am »
Erin, I haven't but I'd give it a try if I was in the same boat, if that helps
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05