Author Topic: 7 months and hours to get him to sleep!  (Read 879 times)

Offline jj22

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 11, 2005, 17:26:29 pm »
hi i have a 7 month old boy. Hes big at 21lb 120z. He takes ages to get to sleep. He'll be fine for ages then he'll just flip and change to winging and moaning. I know hes tired so ill take him up then i have tried to do PU/PD but he only wantsd to be held. Its probably because i used to hold him to sleep when he was new born but sometimes he will just lay down others i can be trying hours but hes so stubborn! ill give up and take him back downstairs and hell be fine laughing and like hes had hours sleep. I know most of it is because hes not in a set routine. its hard when he wakes at all different times and hes been teething.

i want to get him into a set routine he has a morning and bedtime routine but he needs walking round to geo to sleep. He also has been waking at 4 or 5 and i cant get him back because hes hungry and its hard because hes the size of a 9 month old but only 7! hes been weaned sice 12 wks!

can someone just explain again how to do PU/PD and when to pick him up and when to put him down and any tips please really need some help!

jane 19 mum to Alfie  :(

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
7 months and hours to get him to sleep!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 09:39:30 am »
I'm with you on the big baby... mine is 6.5mo & over 22lb :lol:

By the way it is very normal for babies at this age to be fine for a while & then after rolling around etc, get upset as they have got overtired...often the long time to settle means you may be putting them down to early... I find I need to wait until my ds#2 is tired, then read a few stories & allow at least another 10mins before I put him down... I tend to walk around the house or outside to just get him to 'unwind' more

I do think Pu/pd would be a good idea if he is used to being held to sleep. I haven't ever done it... I didn't discover BW until my ds#1 was sleeping ok & #2 settles well with Patting so I can't offer advice. There is a forum for Pick up /Put down, so you might like to post there for advice.

I think as far as a set routine goes... try to pick times for your day naps that you ideally want them to be & work at trying to get them to happen, even if that means you have to keep him up longer for the first nap... say you want it to be at 9am, but because of the early wakeup it is more like 7.30, well try for 8am for 3 days then 8.15 etc & do the same with the 2nd nap & bedtime.

HTH
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05